Could a solo persons belt bleed-kit save lives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaLea910

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good Afternoon all from the UK,
I'm new here and wondered if I could ask for your valuable feedback please? I wondered if belt pouch emergency bleed-stopping kit which provided fast, effective emergency bleed stopping treatment for cuts and injuries (which could even be used heights) would be beneficial to the industry? Perhaps you already know of one? (Not just a first aid bag).
So a kit that provides fast treatment to a head or body wound that can instantly stem/stop the bleeding to buy more time for medical help to be sought?
Sorry it isn't the most uplifting and exciting of topics. Would just love to hear your thoughts, good and bad if you can spare a minute. Thank you in advance.

Good Afternoon all from the UK,
I'm new here and wondered if I could ask for your valuable feedback please? I wondered if belt pouch emergency bleed-stopping kit which provided fast, effective emergency bleed stopping treatment for cuts and injuries (which could even be used heights) would be beneficial to the industry? Perhaps you already know of one? (Not just a first aid bag).
So a kit that provides fast treatment to a head or body wound that can instantly stem/stop the bleeding to buy more time for medical help to be sought?
Sorry it isn't the most uplifting and exciting of topics. Would just love to hear your thoughts, good and bad if you can spare a minute. Thank you in advance.
Like Quik-Clot?

maxi pads.. the original bleed stopper. and I am not being a **** with this (how ya like that?) its the truth on any large cut a maxi pad with pressure applied will cover damn near anything short of chopping your leg off. remember... R.I.C.E it (look it up on medical forums folks)

Like Quik-Clot?
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, to include Quik-Clot.
A multi use handy pouch/bag/box to be easily accessed incase of all bleed needs. Ie - A quick action compression seal. Although I'm thinking now after some other feedback. Are there circumstances where you might need this rapid kit whilst at height... OR would you almost certainly descend first no matter what? Sorry for the questions.
Thank you again for your time.

maxi pads.. the original bleed stopper. and I am not being a **** with this (how ya like that?) its the truth on any large cut a maxi pad with pressure applied will cover damn near anything short of chopping your leg off. remember... R.I.C.E it (look it up on medical forums folks)
Hi Ken,
Thank you for your reply. I wonder how many people keep this in their kit though?
Can I ask, would you always go to a known method... Pad - tie and pressure should this be available more so than buying or wanting a purpose produced kit, which had everything you need to reduce bleed/stop bleeding inmost circumstances?
I hope you don't mind me asking you, you are a better person than me to make this call.
Thank you again for your time. :)

Look up chainsaw injuries primarily its left side of face and neck. That means quick klot gauze and compression and quick responce to e.r...
Then you have left side leg injuries, which means a t.q. and quick responce to the e.r...

Ive got a bag, i bring out of the back seat. That stays on the truck bed, tail gate or hood, when doing certain jobs or around more people. When cutting.

Check out stuck pig medical, he can take your unused Fsa\Hsa money. You may need to add quick klot gauze. Most dont need it. We do. But he carries the best t.q. on the market.

Extremities get a t.q. and torso joints, get packed and compression.

CAT5 tourniquet and an Israeli bandage are two items well worth having within reach. More comprehensive kit can be within a short walk (splint, ace bandage, lots of gauze, scissors, etc).

Find a combat medic for some good advice. I'm fortunate to have one as a friend and neighbor.

CAT5 tourniquet and an Israeli bandage are two items well worth having within reach. More comprehensive kit can be within a short walk (splint, ace bandage, lots of gauze, scissors, etc).

Find a combat medic for some good advice. I'm fortunate to have one as a friend and neighbor.
Also don’t cheap out on a tourniquet only buy name brand it’s the last thing you want to break when you absolutely need it.

Also don’t cheap out on a tourniquet only buy name brand it’s the last thing you want to break when you absolutely need it.
I always carried loop runners, figured they would make a good tourniquet in a pinch, but more than that, whether climbing srt or ddrt, I always made sure my lifeline was routed directly to the ground before making a cut, rather than snaked through the canopy, and my setup always allowed me to unclip my lanyard and bomb down one handed. My thinking was if God forbid I was bleeding out those precious seconds were best spent getting down rather than try and tourniquet myself in the tree. Admittedly, I rarely had great confidence in my crew to do much to help me in the tree since I rarely had another trained climber on the job. I was always an advocate of having 2 climbers on-site for emergency situations, but in the real world small companies rarely do.

Last year while firewooding, I kept a pouch with a CAT tourniquet, Israeli bandage, and Quick-Clot gauze on my chaps. Easy to cut yourself bad enough that the medical kit on the truck 100 yards away is too far.
I kinda can’t help but laugh at most truck first aid kit the approved ones would be no help if anyone actually needed anything

Agreed. Sever an artery, and bandaids and ibuprofen aren't going to help you much.
Been there done that thank god it was in my own yard and I live a block away from a hospital I had the bleeding slowed before the ambulance arrived and then was asked if I could just walk to the hospital.

Yes, please do look it up. Maxi pads and tampons are designed to absorb blood, while doing absolutely nothing to stop it.

Agreed. Sever an artery, and bandaids and ibuprofen aren't going to help you much.
For a major arterial bleed, the only hope is a hemostatic dressing. EG: https://www.celoxmedical.com/cx-product/celox-gauze/

You literally stuff it in the hole. Pack it in as tight as possible. Hurts like hell. But stops the bleeding and keeps the patient alive. More effective and less long-term damage than a tourniquet.

Back