Could an 026 take the place of a MS390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidiro

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My dad just purchased an old 026 non pro and he owns just a ms390 but because he got a good deal on the 026 he's thinking of cleaning it up and flipping it for a few bucks more. Should I talk to him into selling the 390 instead. Both have 20" bars. I have not seen the 026 so can't comment on the condition but I know the condition of the 390 and it is in just fair looking condition but runs pretty good. I just don't know about a 20" bar on an 026, it probably would be best running 18".

I don't have the best lineup of saws for homeowner use, as that is all I use mine for, but if there is ever a need to use a bigger saw than the 026 I will always have a bigger one for the job and being that he is 64 I think the weight of the 026 would be the best one for him.

Hope he didn't sell it yet so that I can have a talk with him. What do you guys think keep the 026 less power saw or the 390 clam? He doesn't know what cad is and will only keep one.

particularly if he ever cuts by himself - it is invaluable to have 2 saws. Get one pinched in the wood, use the other to bail yourself out.

There is a difference in 026 saws, depending on when they were manufactured. I have an early one, purchased brand spankin' new just a couple weeks after they were introduced... At that time there wasn't a labeled "pro" model, just the 026 as the smallest of the "professional" line of saws. Dad bought his 2 or 3 years later and it's never been near as strong as mine (I believe the rated HP had been dropped by that time). Sometime after dad got his, the neighbor bought one to replace a busted Craftsman... his was a lazy dog compared to mine. Some 18 or so years later mine still runs as strong as it did the first year... no kiddin'.

Now, I won't lie to you and tell you it's some sort of monster saw, but... I run both a 16 and 20-inch bar, .325 chain, and have no complaints. Certainly you can't "lean" on it, but the amount of power coming from a saw weighing in at a touch over 10-pounds is impressive. I've owned and used bigger, more powerful saws, but this one I've never even considered selling or trading.

Too me, it's the weight vs. power... I can run a 10 lb, moderately powerful saw one heck of a lot longer than a 15 lb, more powerful saw... And, as long as the wood is under 20-inches, I get a lot more wood cut because I don't get tired and need to stop near as often. Bigger ain't always better... it just needs to be big enough for the job at hand.

It isn't necessary to have two saws in the case of a pinch... a second bar and chain accomplishes the same thing.

I have had my 026 for around 18 or 19 years now. I also have a MS390. Like Brad mentioned, there is no compairison in HP. With that being said if I had to choose between the two it would be the 026. I love that little saw.
I wouldn't run a 20" bar on an 026 though, that is asking alot from that little saw. Unless it is just to keep you from bending over as much during limbing and you don't bury it.

The 026 is VERY dependable saw!
And worth fixing when it breaks or goes down, compared to a 039.
My 2 cents!

I own the MS390(un-modded) and would be willing to let you clean that 026 up and send it my way! Always looking for 'one more saw'!!!

I occassional run a 28" ripping set up on the ms390, haven't had any troubles with 27" wide Black Walnut logs....plenty of power.

Scott B

...I wouldn't run a 20" bar on an 026 though, that is asking alot... and you don't bury it.

Hmmmm.......
I bury my 20-inch bar all the time... no complaints.

180000d1302789730-noodle1-jpg

I own the MS390(un-modded) and would be willing to let you clean that 026 up and send it my way! Always looking for 'one more saw'!!!

I occassional run a 28" ripping set up on the ms390, haven't had any troubles with 27" wide Black Walnut logs....plenty of power.

Scott B

When I run a 25" bar on my 066 ripping/milling I wish I had more power.

Maybe I should get a ms390 and save the 066 for the small stuff

Hmmmm.......
I bury my 20-inch bar all the time... no complaints.

180000d1302789730-noodle1-jpg

You must have a super duty 026 to run a 20" bar throught that! Lol. Mine has an 18 and even though it works if it is buried it is slow going. Wanta trade? J/K.

They aren't close in power. But I say yes

[video=youtube;ZWJXdif_PTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWJXdif_PTE&sns=em[/video]
kinda would depend on kind of wood and size. I'd call mine a 24" and smaller sae

You must have a super duty 026 to run a 20" bar throught that! Lol. Mine has an 18 and even though it works if it is buried it is slow going. Wanta trade? J/K.

Nope, won't trade... probably keep my 026 until they have to pry it from my cold dead fingers. There's nothing like a razor-sharp chain and a well tuned saw when the goin' gets tough.

Still, I've got several of those big oaks to cut up so I've been on the lookout for a bit bigger saw. Had an 036 several years ago that would pull a two-foot bar pretty decent... shouldn't 'a sold it. I picked it up from a guy traveling through that needed some cash-for-gas to get home... gave him a single $100 bill for it and turned it for a tidy profit at my wife's garage sale a month later.

Hind-sight ya' know?

Tried out the 026(running .325 .063 20") a bit and the noticeable difference in power made my dad choose to sell it today and keep the 390(runs 3/8 .050 20"). I have to agree the 20" is a bit much for that saw. I almost considered trading him my 029 but it was kinda an eyesore and I like seeing a nice clean looking saw since I don't use them for a living.

I told him to look out for a 036/ms360 to make a better desision. I was just trying to keep the weight down for him on a dependable saw but with good enough power to compare, but like was said they are nowhere near in power. Nice little saw otherwise.

Tried out the 026(running .325 .063 20") a bit and the noticeable difference in power made my dad choose to sell it today and keep the 390(runs 3/8 .050 20"). I have to agree the 20" is a bit much for that saw. I almost considered trading him my 029 but it was kinda an eyesore and I like seeing a nice clean looking saw since I don't use them for a living.

I told him to look out for a 036/ms360 to make a better decision. I was just trying to keep the weight down for him on a dependable saw but with good enough power to compare, but like was said they are nowhere near in power. Nice little saw otherwise.

Yeah, I think you're on the right track with looking for an 036.
I'm the same age as your Dad and if I need 20" I go to the 036.

I love it and my back really loves it....12.5 lb. and 4.5 hp.
Good deals are out there...have patience...and be in the right place at the right time LOL...
I wish your Dad the best of luck!!
Got mine for $300 and hardly used...original bar and chain.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back