couple of 026 pro questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike mandry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Took down a big black walnut this weekend. About 30" at the base

I used my SXL 925, 026 & SEZ

My 026 is stock except for opened muffler & a WT 426 3 screw carb. 18" bar .325 RS

It runs great, however at full throttle, I swear it has an air leak as it just picks up & screams like its running out of fuel.

When I make cut I usually give it about 75-80 percent throttle before I hit the wood & open it up as soon as it hits the wood. From idle to say 80 percent throttle t seems to run normally. Past that it just screams & wants to keep on climbing.

I put it aside this weekend & did all the limbing with the SEZ, as I didnt want to tinker with the Stihl, or risk running it lean if there was really a problem.

I pulled the plug & muffler tonight & it looks fine. A tad rich if anything.

Perhaps I am just used to my slower running 925 & SEZ

Admitttingly, I have not used the 026 that much yet, but it did not do this when I first got it.

Im thinking about taking it in & having the dealer check it on a tach, or do a leakdown test.

How much should I expect to pay for this (ball park) if I do a leakdown/pressure test, I would pull the muffler & carb myself to hopefully save on labor.

Anyone have any input/ideas ??

Don't pull the muffler or carb.. you won't save a penny... Have the saw tached first anyhow. 026's can "scream" - 14k is typical. The muffler is used to seal the exhaust as part of the test and it's generally not taken completely off - just loosened. You just need a pressure and vac test, not "leak-down".

30 minutes of shop time would be on the high side... Before you do anything, check your fuel filter, fuel hose, tank vent and inlet screen in the carb.

The carb is new. I might have 4 tanks through it. The filter was replaced when I put the carb on.

I thought perhaps the intake boot had a leak that only shows up @ full throttle, or perhaps the pulse hose had a small leak.

It idles just fine, thats what threw me for a loop.

It just seems when cutting 6" -8" wood that the further you get into the cut the faster it revs. Almost like constant acceleration.

Back