Couple of good grabs form the dump (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found these two babies at the local dump. The Craftsman (poulan 3000) was just a dirty mess. Only required a clean up, fuel line and a muffler mod. This is a pretty nice cutting saw and is decently constructed for a poulan (reminds me of Stihl) this must have been produced before the current crop of home owner department store saws. The Jonsered (my first) was in a pile almost completely disassembled. Every thing was there except the 5mm screws to hold on the starter cover. I put it back together and with great anticipation -
no start. It acted like it was back firing when pulling so I checked the flywheel. First off the nut was only on with a few pounds of tourque - so I popped it and discovered two key ways! Remounted on the other key way and she started and ran with one pull. I used this Jred all day today to cut up some 22" white oak - I was very surprised at the power - no problem at all in the oak completely buried. It had a 3/8 rim sprocket on it so I mated a Baileys close out Carlton bar and fitted it with a 72LG chain. I got 12 NIB oregon chains recently at a yard sale, half 72LG and half 72DG. I am not familiar with these chains but the LG cuts nice. I did buy a bucking spike for it and I think I have it on right - seems to be the only way to mount it was on the outside of the clutch cover - oh well it works.

cs0005uj3.jpg

cs0002ai6.jpg

cs0003ia3.jpg

cs0004la6.jpg

+1 on the 3000. I had one I bought at an auction, replaced impulse line, fuel line and a muffler mod and that was a damn nice saw. Traded it to a friend of mine and I regret it now, he trashed it. Good find!

Nice find, you gotta love it when people throw away perfectly good stuff...a couple of years ago, I found a 42" MTD riding lawn mower...poured gas in it and it started and mowed just fine.

I am the Junk yard king. I found My 066 in a heap. Bought it for unclean aluminum. I think it was $5.
It needed a tank, bearings, piston and cylinder. I ended up getting a woods ported cylinder from Dean and had the local Amish saw shop do all the work. I had never worked on a saw in my life. The Amish guys almost had thier eyes pop outta their head when they ran it for the first time.
Now I do all my own work, unless its a 039/029. I refuse to work on those, ugh!
That 066 is the best saw I own and someone threw it in the trash!

I love the junk yard...die hard pack rat

We have a fairly large scrap yard here and it blows my mind what people throw away. Ive gotten metal lathes, table saw, anvils, post vise, machinist vises. safes, mowers, saws and tools of all descriptions. Even cordless tools. Brand new boxes of nails, buckets of new grade 8 bolts, tool steel in 20 foot lengths with the mill tags still on them and on and on and on. The current buy price on scrap steel here is 18 cents a pound and I am running out of room to store stuff.

There is a guy there I see every time I go and I got to talking to him one day.He used to run an auto shop and now sells old car parts on Ebay. He says he make much more money doing that than when he ran his repair shop.

Bottom line...We are a very wasteful nation.

All this time I thought I was the king of the junk yard dawgs.:laugh:

Actually ,believe it or not, I found my Monarch 10" EE toolmakers lathe in a scrap yard.

My motto,cheap is good,free is better.

Man you cant beat that, a Poulan 3000 49cc and a Jred 490 49cc back to back for free. Both are great dependable saws IMO. The 3000 is a top notch performer for its class and the 490 makes a heck of a 3ci. :rock:

So, where can I find a "dump" like this? :rock:

I did nab a running Lawn boy push mower off of the curb once on 'junk' day. Yep, still using it, all it needed was fuel.

Congrats on your find!

What year was your Monarch made

A lot of the ones I see "surplused" were WWII vintage. Weve got one at a local community college that came of a battleship. Its got the war department , Navy and ordnance tags all over it. Its a real best. Its got a gap bed on it too and allows a huge swing over center....

Wow, I gotta get my arse down to the dump!! +1 on the Craftsman, same as Poulan 300 series. They are good, solid saws. Dunno much about the J-red, other than I'm insanely jelous of it. Ya gotta love those older mid-size saws.... you don't think about how badly the EPA has eroded saw performance until you run one.

Wow, I gotta get my arse down to the dump!! +1 on the Craftsman, same as Poulan 300 series. They are good, solid saws. Dunno much about the J-red, other than I'm insanely jelous of it. Ya gotta love those older mid-size saws.... you don't think about how badly the EPA has eroded saw performance until you run one.

nice finds at the dump!

we aren't allowed to take anything out at the transfer station:angry: and they crush everything down periodicaly to fit more stuff...oh well.

I score free stuff off craigs list when it comes along.

SS

Here is a Ohio dump find from last year 011. They are not suppose to take things out either, but the crusher guy called down and said hey there is a orange case down there, so my buddy walks over and kicks it and it dont move. He opens it and :rock: . He said he thought of me right off and I put a different carb and reed assembly on it and it ran like new again.
CopyofStihl011001.jpg

I bought that same craftsman at an old Sears scratch and dent store that used to be near me. I paid $99 dollars for it back in the early 90's. I don't know why it was there but it had been used and probably returned. They gave me an Oregon bar with it , it didn't say Sears on it. Still run that saw, and added a Poulan 2800. Those are darn nice saws, would love to get one that clean.

You are one lucky fellow

Found these two babies at the local dump. The Craftsman (poulan 3000) was just a dirty mess. Only required a clean up, fuel line and a muffler mod. This is a pretty nice cutting saw and is decently constructed for a poulan I used this Jred all day today to cut up some 22" white oak - I was very surprised at the power - no problem at all in the oak completely buried. I did buy a bucking spike for it and I think I have it on right - seems to be the only way to mount it was on the outside of the clutch cover - oh well it works.

Now that is a find!!!!! :givebeer: :popcorn: :rock:

Hey I gots one of those crapsmans,,,, Poulan 3000 ehhhhh???? any Idea what the WOT RPM H setting for that saw is????

Is tha Jred a 50 CC saw?????

Last edited:
A lot of the ones I see "surplused" were WWII vintage. Weve got one at a local community college that came of a battleship. Its got the war department , Navy and ordnance tags all over it. Its a real best. Its got a gap bed on it too and allows a huge swing over center....
The Monarch was made in 1956 or 57.I have the complete history,thanks to Monarch in Sidney Ohio.It was purchased new by Ford motor.It spent most of it's life in Batavia Ohio then was shipped to Atlas spark plug in Tiffin Ohio and scrapped from there.This is a thyratron tube type.

The older ones like the navy surplus machines were driven by an ac/dc motor generater and rated at 3 HP.The tube types are 5 HP.

You would be surprised what goodies can be gleaned from salvage yards.My shop,which is 60 by 70 ,has wall panels that are recycled factory second Wayne/Dalton garage door panals.The actual I beam frame came from a building slated for demolition.The z girts on the walls came from Strand buildings via a scrap yards.The two overhead cranes were recycled from an auto plant.The inground hydraulic auto hoist is one 13 inch cylinder from a big dual cylinder semi hoist with a drive on Joyce top.The only thing new was the 7 1/2" concrete floor and the roof insulation and metal.The roof is 22 gauge decking material .I've got a shade over 20 thou in it but it's appraised at over 80 grand.

Now,as for saws in the dumpster,I've never found any.Then on the other hand I have had a lot of them given to me as well as lawnmowers,vehicles even a baby logsplitter.The best so far has been a Greenlee 785 hydraulic pipe bender that will bend up to 6 inch schedual 80 pipe.Ya just have to be in the right place at the right time,ya know.:)

Way to go Al...

I picked up a chainfall and an I -beam roller at the yard friday. I swear a man could make his way if he went there every day.

I wish I had a shop as big as yours..Im planning a 40 x60 on my farm in TN. Im scraping all I can for it now. I haul with a 52 International 1 1/2 ton R 160. Six cylinder engine with a 2 speed rear . Its slow but it will haul the mail.

Back