couple q's on chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDRMNKY

ArboristSite Dork
Reaction score
apologies if'n deez questions has been answered bee-four...I looked...and looked...and decided to brave the tongue-lashing

recent purchase...MS 460...dual spikities, HO oiler parts, ozzy muffler...all on the way (obligitory pics later)

there's also a 32" light bar and two full skip, square ground, chisel chains sitting on the counter at the dealer...all .063 gauge
(I thought they ordered full skip semi-chisel...these things happen)

here's the rub...stihl doesn't make 3/8", full skip, semi-chisel, .063 gauge chain...seems no one does

there's 3/8", full skip, semi-chisel, .050 gauge & .404, full skip, semi-chisel, .063 gauge

Here's the quick "usage" story. I clear/reclaim pasture, cut brush, cleanup woodlots, etc...stuff no one really wants to do. Sometimes I get asked to remove 30"+ dbh trees, and never has one been beautifully green and straight...almost always dead or soon to be, and always either locust, oak, or hedge...nasty stuff. Once, I picked up a loop of round ground, chisel chain by mistake, and didn't notice until I needed it. Fell one dead, dry locust with it, and it was dull...never again.

Here's the quick dealer story. Most folks walk through the door to buy/service a MS 250. The tree guys all run round ground, full chisel. I'm always the first guy to ask for/about something, and they treat me very well. I also send a good bit of business their way, so we have a good relationship. If 3/8", full skip, semi-chisel, .063 gauge was available, I wouldn't be typing this. Since it's not, and I'm not sure I want either .050 guage, or .404 on this saw, here I am.

So...does square ground chisel hold an edge better than round ground chisel? (looks like it might?)

Is there a wheel I can put on my USG to sharpen square ground? (not really in the market for a Silvey)

Does stihl have files to sharpen square ground? (I saw Bailey's does)

Cheers!

I think square holds up better than round chisel. Round has a little tiny point and square has more support for the corner.

Carlton did make semi chisel full skip in 063". I don't know who else does have any. There is an attachment to go on the usg for square grinding. The double bevel files work for sharpening square. I don't know if stihl sells files for square.

apologies if'n deez questions has been answered bee-four...I looked...and looked...and decided to brave the tongue-lashing

recent purchase...MS 460...dual spikities, HO oiler parts, ozzy muffler...all on the way (obligitory pics later)

there's also a 32" light bar and two full skip, square ground, chisel chains sitting on the counter at the dealer...all .063 gauge

here's the rub...stihl doesn't make 3/8", full skip, semi-chisel, .063 gauge chain...seems no one does

there's 3/8", full skip, semi-chisel, .050 gauge & .404, full skip, semi-chisel, .063 gauge

Here's the quick "usage" story. I clear/reclaim pasture, cut brush, cleanup woodlots, etc...stuff no one really wants to do. Sometimes I get asked to remove 30"+ dbh trees, and never has one been beautifully green and straight...almost always dead or soon to be, and always either locust, oak, or hedge...nasty stuff. Once, I picked up a loop of round ground, chisel chain by mistake, and didn't notice until I needed it. Fell one dead, dry locust with it, and it was dull...never again.

Here's the quick dealer story. Most folks walk through the door to buy/service a MS 250. The tree guys all run round ground, full chisel. I'm always the first guy to ask for/about something, and they treat me very well. I also send a good bit of business their way, so we have a good relationship. If 3/8", full skip, semi-chisel, .063 gauge was available, I wouldn't be typing this. Since it's not, and I'm not sure I want either .050 guage, or .404 on this saw, here I am.

So...does square ground chisel hold an edge better than round ground chisel? (looks like it might?) No.

Is there a wheel I can put on my USG to sharpen square ground? (not really in the market for a Silvey)I think you would also need an attachment, do not remember, the whole grinder was to much $.

Does stihl have files to sharpen square ground? (I saw Bailey's does) Do not know.

Cheers!

Use .050, will not be an issue at all.

There is a box of STIHL branded "goofy" files on the counter at my buddies STIHLership.

They did make them at some point obviously, not sure if they STIHL do.
I bet so.

Use .050, will not be an issue at all.

the only .050 gauge I use is the little picco duro (cutters stick out pretty good)

I need the kerf width in the stuff I cut...hell, could just be the operator

...I should fire that guy.

For cutting dirty wood, do yourself a favor and run semi-chisel. It won't dull as quickly as full or square chisel and can be sharpened with a round file.

I would be running 3/8 full comp.

So...does square ground chisel hold an edge better than round ground chisel? (looks like it might?)

Is there a wheel I can put on my USG to sharpen square ground? (not really in the market for a Silvey)

Does stihl have files to sharpen square ground? (I saw Bailey's does)

Cheers!

Square chisel chain is for really clean wood. Use it on a dirty wood and it will dull really fast. I use semi-chisel full and skip chain for all my firewood cutting needs. I have quite a bit of round chisel chain on hand, but rather spend my time cutting. Not sharpening my chains!

Mike

Latest posts

Back