Couple Wild Thing questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave76

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Mine showed up today and it is completely appart already. I got a 2375LE, has a WT662 carb on it, any good??? If not whats a better carb to get? Also what shape should the exhaust port look like after porting? Do I open it up to the size of the port exit? I also already heated and unfolded the muffler and pulled the baffle, and can size screen, welded up the old exhaust exit, now how big an opening should I drill into the front? Also does anything need to be done to the transfers? I'm new to porting so the skill isn't there. P&C look awsome for a wildthing BTW. Got it for $25, I'm doing this to have fun. Thanks Guys

I guess no one wants to give up any secrets. Lol

Mine showed up today and it is completely appart already. I got a 2375LE, has a WT662 carb on it, any good??? If not whats a better carb to get? Also what shape should the exhaust port look like after porting? Do I open it up to the size of the port exit? I also already heated and unfolded the muffler and pulled the baffle, and can size screen, welded up the old exhaust exit, now how big an opening should I drill into the front? Also does anything need to be done to the transfers? I'm new to porting so the skill isn't there. P&C look awsome for a wildthing BTW. Got it for $25, I'm doing this to have fun. Thanks Guys

The carb will probably flow as much as the engine will.
The true test is to put it back together after you finish porting it and run it in some wood.
The exhaust port should look like a football field with the corners rounded off.
You SHOULD leave a good lead in for the rings so as not to catch one.
Catching a ring on a port edge at 12,000 RPMs gets UGLY quickly.
For now, go wider but not taller. 65-70% of bore diameter is the generally accepted rule of thumb on port width.
The "opening" you drill in the front, I would start with a 3/8ths drill and time a couple of cuts.
Go up to a 7/16ths and time a couple, keep going up till the times level off, then stop.
It is hard for me to tell you how to mod your muffler because I don't know how you will port your engine.
Remember Mr. Miaggi in Karate Kid..........."Must have balance"!!!LOL
If you go too far in the beginning your performance WILL suffer depending on the things you do to the engine.
HTH

Mike

Good luck on getting info on porting on here. I tryed but failed miserably, so my Mac saw is just gonna go back together the way it was.

I guess no one wants to give up any secrets. Lol

Good luck on getting info on porting on here. I tryed but failed miserably, so my Mac saw is just gonna go back together the way it was.

Lots of porting threads on the forum here. A couple that come to mind are Porting for Dummies and Porting the 361BB. There are many more.

Brad, I think the lads are looking for specifics on the model of saw they have, not general porting info. Not sure if they have been porting for long, I have never ported a Wild Thing but could probably feel my way through. Someone new to porting may be looking for more specific info like widths and shapes, possibly degrees on intake, exhaust blowdown and timing.
Pioneerguy600

Almost everything that I know about porting I found on this site and on my bench. It has taken many months of searching, reading, and unfortunately a few mistakes, but I now feel confident in my ability to extract good gains.

If a person is not willing to take the time to study it must not be something they really want to learn.

The information is here. Everything from checking port timing numbers, and even what those numbers mean, to how to properly sharpen a chain can be found. But it takes time, and commitment.

So your saying go wider on the port but not larger top and bottom, because I know that will affect timming.

This was the post I took some offense to. The members on this site are the most helpful guys I have ever been around.

Sorry if I sounded mean.

I'm actually cool with exhaust port porting, but the transfers I wouldn't know where to begin.

I'm actually cool with exhaust port porting, but the transfers I wouldn't know where to begin.

The open transfers on those saws are a mystery to me as well. I just did a strato wildthing, a 4218 with transfer port covers that kind of close the transfer in a way that I could widen the top of the port toward the intake some. It made a big difference in the power the saw had.

I'm still trying to learn more about modding a open transfer engine, so I hope to find out something here as well.

This was the post I took some offense to. The members on this site are the most helpful guys I have ever been around.

Sorry if I sounded mean.

Yeah!!!

Especially after I had answered the questions to the best of my ability just a scant 41 minutes before!:mad:

I guess that "other" poster wanted someone to do the port work for him.:dizzy:

Mike

Yeah!!!

Especially after I had answered the questions to the best of my ability just a scant 41 minutes before!:mad:

I guess that "other" poster wanted someone to do the port work for him.:dizzy:

Mike

I hear ya Mike. I don't say much, but I just had to on that one. :cheers:

Are the cylinders different on the 2375LE? I know the PNs are different, just wondering if the ports are different. Mine is a Type2 so it has the latest cylinder, the reason I ask is because stock the exhaust port is really small on this LE.

I have a 41mm 2375 on my bench that I'm porting. I'll take some pics in the AM and post them here. I'm using a Husky 41 carb on it, hopefully it'll run strong.

Back