Couple Wild Thing questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the intake after roughing it in. It had 148° of duration stock, I lowered the port enough to get 158°. I also widened it to around 26mm which is about 65% of cylinder diameter. Notice the nearly rectangular shape of the port, this gives the port more mean area, which means more flow. The rings don't ride across the intake port so a flatter floor and roof is possible.

attachment.php

The exhaust port has a steel insert in it from the factory, after removing it I widened the port to 68% and squared up the corners. The lip inside the port has to be retained or the port timing is altered. This port opens at 101° ATDC and has 158° of duration.

attachment.php

Sorry about the blurry pic. I'm trying something I've never tried or seen before here. Even though these are open transfers I've widened them towards the intake port in hopes of more power. I figured out how much the ports open and then widened only the portion of the port that opens. I may have screwed the pooch here, but we'll see.

attachment.php

The intake partition I port matched to the jug and blended back to make the transition from round to square happen less quickly. Now I will spend some time smoothing these ports and chamfering the edges to keep the rings from snagging.

attachment.php

I hope this answers some of your questions.

I have a WT, pretty small port, and wondered about the steel insert. I suspect it is there as a thermal barrier to keep too much heat form going into the alumimum aroung the port.
Has anyone knowledge of what it is for, or experience after removing it?

Not that long life or hours on end of cutting is in the future of many WT, but wondering if it will hold up without heating and seizing or detonating.

kcj

Well it runs.

It one is my best WT porting job yet. I guess widening the transfers is the way to go even on open ports.

Here's a video of the little wildchild. Sorry no sound. :cry:

It's still running 3/8 low pro and a six pin sprocket. I'm gonna put a seven pin .325 rim on as soon as I can.

object>

have I been huffing too much gasoline, glue, and nitrous oxide (non-medical grade) or is this thread about the Poulan Wild Thing?? If so, why??

Damn man that thing is rollin, can't wait to see what the .325 does.

I have a WT, pretty small port, and wondered about the steel insert. I suspect it is there as a thermal barrier to keep too much heat form going into the alumimum aroung the port.
Has anyone knowledge of what it is for, or experience after removing it?

Not that long life or hours on end of cutting is in the future of many WT, but wondering if it will hold up without heating and seizing or detonating.

kcj

Check your private messages.

Latest posts

Back