Covering log ends.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wismer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have seen some pictures from people on this site. When they have a log they want to mill they have painted the end with some kind of paint, usually white. What is it and what does it do? Does it make much of a diffeerence?

Thanks, Craig

I have seen some pictures from people on this site. When they have a log they want to mill they have painted the end with some kind of paint, usually white. What is it and what does it do? Does it make much of a diffeerence?

Thanks, Craig

Here, Colorado, thin air, dry and hot, yes is helps a lot, prevents checking.

Rattle-can paint will help, but the real end sealer is worth it, old school desolving parrifen (candles) in gasoline to a thick paste and coat the ends.

Yes, end sealer can help reduce splitting at the end of the logs/boards. Especially with some hard woods and a dry climate. What happens is the wood dries much faster from the cut end grain than from the sides. When it dries, it shrinks, so the ends shrink before the rest of the log/board = a split.
A thick layer of paint, or even better, wax slows down the endgrain drying = less splits.

You can buy a good wax based endsealer from Baileys (look in the sponsors links up top).

Generally it's only used on hardwoods, pine etc doesn't split the same, and you have to apply it ASAP after cutting the log (same day). Once the splits have started it's too late.

Cheers

Ian

https://www.uccoatings.com/

This company sells the stuff...Anchorseal. I picked up a 5 gallon pal for around $50 a few years back for my personal use. Good stuff. They also sell applicators etc. but I just used a paint brush. IMO well worth it and 5 gallon will go a long way for the hobby guy.

Its all we use at the mill...from veneer logs to the lumber.

The other stuff that has been mentioned I'm sure will also work but I have never tried anything.

Anchorseal is "da-bomb", but if you are cheap like me, go to a hardware store or lumber yard and buy a gallon of mis-mix latex paint. For $3-4, you can do the ends of lots of boards. Not quite as good as Anchorseal, but dang it's cheap.

Mark

Anchorseal is "da-bomb", but if you are cheap like me, go to a hardware store or lumber yard and buy a gallon of mis-mix latex paint. For $3-4, you can do the ends of lots of boards. Not quite as good as Anchorseal, but dang it's cheap.

Mark

ditto... some mis-mix latex paint is only a buck or two a gallon... I slap it on as thick and liberally as I can for that price.

Back