Covering of Pine tree trunk with Rock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pine tree trunks should be allowed to dry, long term constant exposure to moister is detrimental to the trees health. You will be able to buy time on these negative effects by using gravel. An open well around the tree is preferable. Is the root zone also buried, Pines don't tolerate grade change very well.

I would like to know if the trunk of a pine tree would be in danger if the trunk had 1 to 2 inch rock piled against it 2 to 2 1/2 feet high?

Bernie, it dont think that would be to wise to pile rock up to 2 1/2 ft. up the trunk, I think the pine would start to decline, then eventually die.

Being that your in tahoe, were probably talking about a ponderosa or sierra lodge pole pine??

So, to awnser your question, Yes, its bad for the tree. remember you will never see this in there natual setting, hike some of the trails by the lake and you will see what I mean,
rocks not piled high up agaist trunk, roots not totally coverd with rocks...

You will be able to buy time on these side results by using pebbles. An start well around the shrub is more suitable. Is the main area also hidden, Pines don't accept quality modify very well.

Latest posts

Back