Crabapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider a severe magnesium deficiency. Not likely though.

How has tree health been in the past? Site changes? Other trees affected?

I wouldn't rule out a potential gas leak either.

The tree appears to be wilting, so whats causing the deficiency of water in the foliage? Excessive water, drought, girdling, root rot & vascular diseases are the culprits. Let the investigation begin, that's your job as the Arborist.
Shooting from the hip, planted too deep, lower trunk's vascular system shutting down.
PS it's a removal.

Not on Malus...
Duh!:oops: Malus=Resistant.

Its the first vascular disease that came to mind after I read your post.

I did just find this in an old college book, "Apple, pear, and quince are susceptible to the European strains of Verticillium albo-atrum."

Looks like Armilaria to me... Will a tree suddenly completely shut down that fast from that?

The cross section photos are of a 1" dia branch

(The tree also did have some tip flagging of fireblight as well, ftr, but not majorly. It is everywhere here this yr on ornamental pears and some crabapples.)

d5.jpeg d3.jpeg d1.jpeg d4.jpeg d7.jpeg d8.jpeg d9.png d10.png d11.jpeg d12.jpeg

Are all the fans black?

Looks suspicious but in my experience with Armillaria, decline is typically over a period of time, not so sudden. I would venture a guess of collar rot, probably Phytophthora, but I've been off my game lately so don't hold me to it.

Good thread & nice follow up to the OP.
d8-jpeg.356020

Notice no stump flare & buttress roots. Just advantageous feeder roots growing perpendicular off the trunk. Guess where the the proper root collar is. Add to the mix heavy wet silt soil with the tree planted in a swell. Is anyone surprised to find pathogenic shoestring fungus shutting down the tree. Please note that the fungus only contributed to the final death of a weakened tree that was planted too deep.

Good thread & nice follow up to the OP.
d8-jpeg.356020

Notice no stump flare & buttress roots. Just advantageous feeder roots growing perpendicular off the trunk. Guess where the the proper root collar is. Add to the mix heavy wet silt soil with the tree planted in a swell. Is anyone surprised to find pathogenic shoestring fungus shutting down the tree. Please note that the fungus only contributed to the final death of a weakened tree that was planted too deep.

I was thinking about that. I might just dig down a little more looking for more of an actual root flare, for the heck of it...maybe show the client. I'll be removing it for them anyway.

Thx for the replies guys.

The 2nd photo in the OP, colors in the leaves looking like major deficiencies...
Is that just caused by lack of water & nutrients then, from roots shutting down?

FTR, rainwater runoff does run around the back of the house, right thru where this tree is planted.

So that is probably too much water rather than lack of water. They can look similar above the ground...because their impact is similar: The leaves do not get what they need from the roots.

I don't know exactly where in the midwest you're located...but fireblight has been unbelievable in the St. Louis area this year. I believe you've got several problems going on with this tree.. The standing water and root decay being one, and a case of fireblight being another.

I was going to post a fireblight thread, and see if anyone else is seeing it as much as I am. I rarely drive past a pear, apple, plum that isn't infected this year. What gives? Should be good for business.. I guess all the pear haters will be happy now!

Lots of fireblight in NW Ohio too this year. Impact of the hard winter???
thats the only thing i can think of, but im not sure what the correlation would be ? anyone with insight on this matter?

I don't know exactly where in the midwest you're located...but fireblight has been unbelievable in the St. Louis area this year. I believe you've got several problems going on with this tree.. The standing water and root decay being one, and a case of fireblight being another.

I was going to post a fireblight thread, and see if anyone else is seeing it as much as I am. I rarely drive past a pear, apple, plum that isn't infected this year. What gives? Should be good for business.. I guess all the pear haters will be happy now!

I'm about 200 miles from u.
Fireblight everywhere.
I've injected some w Arbor OTC. Suppresent... Nothing kills the bacteria. If ever there were a forgivable reason to 'top' trees, fb control would be it.

They aren't worth saving IMO, but people like them. I know a guy that this is his 3rd set growing, (storms) and now they have fb he wants me to look at. What's it take...

Latest posts

Back