East Coast Veneer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Saw this, and I relate to this dude. I appreciate the approach focusing on things like bore cut from front and sides to minimize pulls nd chairs... hinge in root flare, not valuable wood IF Possible ( Sometime this isn't possible ) ... Maximize how much is harvested cutting close AND less stump to skid other logs over and around. Only "little" tactical thing I do different on the white oak like that is leaving trigger wood & have wedge in until my hinge is done so the tree doesn't move while I'm focused on that close to the ground cut. THEN stand up look snip the trigger and go or hammer on the wedges like crazy. But NICE low cut stump with no pulls maximizes the logs for me. Add up 10 12 inches gained with this style "stump" on veneer trees.....doesn't take many to justify the possible extra time.

you guys not believe in log tapes? just lobbing things off at wherever looks good?

I'd put my little johny Deere up against that Timberhack all day everyday, and I think the timberhacks are cool, but the deere is just designed better.
Sounds about right :)

Hey, I didn't see your skidder in your video doing what you do to do those tree's, where's that Deere?

That an old 440? My Two older "Deer's are a 490 excavator and a 2750 with a Uni forest Skidder Winch , they work for the farm. See a few of those our here, usually beat to death but they are STILL working. :)
yup 440A, so? late 60's early 70's vintage, non turbo, but a motor out of a 2004 genset/aircompressor? runs like a top, the winch brake could use an adjustment, especially for the whoppers, but it does the job better then I ever expected
She's wearing newer slippers since that vid, and is down right scary on a hill, climb any thing including trees..

you guys not believe in log tapes? just lobbing things off at wherever looks good?

I'd put my little johny Deere up against that Timberhack all day everyday, and I think the timberhacks are cool, but the deere is just designed better.
I *think* it's cuz the trees/logs are shorter. GF mentioned once that the ideal log is 13'8" and hard to hit. So they cut the top off, skid the whole log, and cut to length based on the mill's pref on the log deck. I deal with the same here. Trying to make long straight logs out of forky trees.

Check this out. Check out the closing of the hinge and resultant pull...wow. Point is there is a contrast. I'll post this, then RE-post a contrasting video. Hey, the tree is on the ground and nothing got broken & hurt right?

Latest posts

Back