Cracked brake cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdntbone303

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a large crack in my Husqvarna 288 clutch cover. Was thinking JB Weld or those brazing sticks for aluminum and pot metal to fix it. Anyone got experience fixing a cracked magnesium clutch cover?

Damn you did a good job cracking that one :p

Drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack, clean, abrade the paint off inside, dremel a “V” shaped groove in the crack and then apply the epoxy before clamping it back true to allow it to cure.
Any particular JB Weld you would recommend? They have a lot of different products. Is this going to be a permanent and strong fix?

JB weld won’t last. But tig welding it will. I believe the aluminum rods will also work well on the inside with a similar process as mentioned above.
I got some of those alumiloy rods coming to try out. You have any experience using them? Basically a brazing and not an actual weld

I’ve welded magnesium dirtbike cases and clutch covers, in a box flooded with argon with the TIG Hobart 500 amp. At work just for experience. I took on all kinds of work. I got some TIG rod samples from my vendor.

How about that torch low temp alloy rod as seen on tv I have that and some stick aluminum rod. Not sure about open flame with magnesium. I stepped on a droplet that was on in the welding booth and had ten Richard Pryor running across the floor.

Back