Cracked major leader in wolf cherry tree, best way to handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNYCountry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been taking a good look at the trees around my newly purchased house. Maintenance on the trees in many cases was not so good.

I have a major leader in a cherry in my yard that is slightly cracked where it joins a main trunk (there are two of those also, another ugly issue but it seems to be OK right now). The joint is close to vertical and obviously weak with no apparent collar. The leader supports 35-40% of the crown and the tree seems otherwise healthy, except for some sort of growth out of some of the leaves (small reddish "spikes" 1-3mm long).

There is a large old wound where another leader obviously broke off similarly, judging from the woundwood, at least 5 years ago. It would have been 180° opposite from the now cracked leader, but on the other trunk. It broke, it was not cut.

A trusted logging friend estimated the age of the tree to be 60 years or so, large for this age but not surrounded by others. The trunks are upwards of 20" across at chest height and I would estimate the crown to be about 60' high. The single trunk is probably 30" across at the root flare.

If the branch were to fall it would fall on my driveway but probably not directly on where we park vehicles. I was told that there was a good chance of this happening this coming winter because of ice inside the crack.

I have mostly maple, beech, cherry, hemlock and some birch in the woods behind the house. A lot of the maple and beech show disease (whitish fungus growth on the maple bark, dark stains running down the beech bark). The cherry is the hardwood that seems fairly healthy here.

My options are, as I see them:

1. Let it crack and fall on its own (obviously not the best approach for myself OR the tree)
2. Get a climber to cut the leader off (but so much of the green crown is on this leader, I am sure it will hurt the tree!)
3. Have a professional, competent arborist attempt to cable the leader to support it (is this still an option since it's already cracked, will a cable work or will it crack and slide down anyway?)
4. Cut the tree now and start another one growing as soon as possible (a last resort option, IMO)

3 is the most attractive to me IF it would work and be safe. 1 is obviously not really an option.

I will get pictures if necessary, no digital camera so I will have to run 35mm and scan prints, etc...

Last edited:
Stumper said:
Pictures will help. Cabling won't make it "good as new" but may allow you to safely keep the tree.

I'm assuming then that the potential success of cabling is dependent on how badly cracked the leader is, weight, size and other factors, which pictures would show.

I will work on getting pictures up here, and thank you.

My reason for asking here is that I know there are some of the best on here, not sure what I would get if I just opened up the yellow pages around here.

I want to avoid hiring a local who's just going to say to do a takedown no matter what it looks like, instead I need someone who is at least familiar with Dr. Shigo's ideas, etc...

On the off chance, does anyone know a quality arborist here in central NY? I'm about 45-60 minutes NE of Syracuse..

Maybe a better solution for a crack would be bracing, installing 2 bolts through the branch at both ends of the crack. That would lessen the need for a cable. See if you can get pictures of both the crack and the whole tree's architecture.

I don't know if the "best" are here, but the price is right. :rolleyes: Always ideal to get a good arborist on site. Try this:
http://www.isa-arbor.com/findArborist/findarborist.aspx

treeseer said:
Maybe a better solution for a crack would be bracing, installing 2 bolts through the branch at both ends of the crack. That would lessen the need for a cable. See if you can get pictures of both the crack and the whole tree's architecture.

I don't know if the "best" are here, but the price is right. :rolleyes: Always ideal to get a good arborist on site. Try this:
http://www.isa-arbor.com/findArborist/findarborist.aspx

A good link, thank you.

The crack is right down the crotch between this leader and the main trunk, i.e. like a collar failure but it looks like the grain of the wood just splits to form the leader without much of a collar. I had heard about the bolt thing and it makes good sense.

Will get pictures.

I'm not a certified arborist but I know that Shigo is more than Kim Possible's Arch Nemesis on the Disney Channel. I live about an hour and a half from you. There are certified arborists in Syracuse area. Michael Grimm is a large operation with arborists. I believe Bartlett's has a franchise in Syracuse as well. Everything where I am seems to be like me...two guys, a truck and some Walmart rope :angel:
Todd

P.s. Am I having a mind fart: I think the spell check doesn't recognize "arborist" as a word?

ozy365 said:
I'm not a certified arborist but I know that Shigo is more than Kim Possible's Arch Nemesis on the Disney Channel. I live about an hour and a half from you. There are certified arborists in Syracuse area. Michael Grimm is a large operation with arborists. I believe Bartlett's has a franchise in Syracuse as well. Everything where I am seems to be like me...two guys, a truck and some Walmart rope :angel:
Todd

P.s. Am I having a mind fart: I think the spell check doesn't recognize "arborist" as a word?

:p There's a big difference between two guys that know what they're doing, a truck and some Walmart rope, and two guys who don't with that same stuff... I was hoping to avoid the latter.. ;)

Good information on locals, thanks!

Latest posts

Back