Cracked trunk Crimson King Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadango

Reaction score
Hi all....

New to this forum......looking for some advice, as I know not too much about trees...

I have a Crimson King Maple, about 20-30 feet tall...trunk is maybe 8 inches or so across.......Two large cracks have developed in the trunk, the first is L shaped, going from the bottom and up about 2 feet and then another straight crack above that, about the same length......Ants are crawling in and out of the cracks...

Is my gorgeous tree doomed? :cry:

We bought this tree when it was about 8 feet tall....and it has come a long way in 8 years......gorgeous tree.....

I posted 2 pictures of the damage if that would help....

Thanks in advance all, for any advice....

Shadango

Very strange. Can you trim away the dead bark, the bark that's brown and dry, not bright-colored and moist, and take another picture?

Don't panic yet ok?

That looks like what they call a frost crack. Common on smooth barked trees. There is some debate about the cause and effect, but there's not much you can do but live with them.
The tree was clearly planted too deep. The soil needs to be carefully dished away from the trunk until you get down to the flare. Search "girdling roots" for more information.

Latest posts

Back