Cracked weld on woodstove....???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koppertop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy everyone,
Bad news....i just discovered a hairline crack in one of the welds on our woodstove. The stove is an older Fire View made in Rogue River OR. For those not familiar, imagine a drum (smaller than 55gal) that is on its side. In the front of the drum is a window, the woodstove loads through a door that is on one one of the "ends"......the cracked weld is where the other end is welded onto the drum.

Suggestions? Can a weld on woodstove be repaired? I realize the stove is older and upgrading to an epa-stove would probably be best, but as with many others, $$ is tight and we haven't been disapointed with the Fire View's performance thus far.

We burn approximately 3-4 cords per year. So whadda ya think? Can our stove be repaired? Or is our only option to buy a new/used woodstove? I'm off to research woodstove makes/models.....who makes a good woodstove.....ford? chevy?

cheers
KT

My stove is nothing like you have. With that in mind, I have welded mine at leased twice and after this burning season is over I will burn a few more rods in the old girl. I welded the window trim on my buddys stove (that was cast and the use of a nickel rod was in order). Mine is steel between 3/16 and 1/4 thick so regular rod is fine. You or your weldor will have to decide the materal, location of the crack, and how bad the crack is before throwing the heat to it. Drilling a hole at the end of a crack line then filling the hole in with weld will help keep the crack from spreading. (ie, frame crack repair) In the end, get a few people look at it, if too many say it is not safe get another stove so you can heat your house next year.

Ted

Latest posts

Back