Craftsman CompuCarve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i saw an add for that last night. it seemed to just be a simple CNC wood carver. you could program designs onto a disk and then the machine would mill away. for under 2K if it works i think thats one neat little tool. however i have never liked a craftsman powertool, so i would be a little nervous buying it. cool idea though

WOW... I'm interested, to say the least. After I MILL logs into lumber (had to throw that in since this is a milling forum :popcorn: ) then the next step would be to get that lumber to S4S and stick it into one of these nifty machines. I've been looking at CNC routers for years, waiting for the price to come down. Currently they are in the $10k range and dropping for lower end machines. But this little thing is less than $2k?... something I might be able to justify for my little business. I have no illusions that this will do what a larger CNC router will do, but much of what I wanted a CNC router for was small little logos/signs and patterns for tops of boxes and plaques etc. This looks like it will do that. I'd be worried about how much abuse it will take though. How powerful is that little motor... and how much would a replacement motor or positioning system cost. What is the warranty... after a large part of this machine is microprocessor driven as opposed to mostly electromechanical as most shop equipment is. Well... apparently it is pretty successful since everybody seems to be sold out of them. That means others will probably join the fray eventually.

Thanks tawilson and trimmed for that info... they now have my attention at least.

i actually saw one at sears a few weeks ago. checked it out pretty good. seems to do what woodshop thinks, excel at small patterns and the like.

they actually just advertised it on tv this morning, and the price is $1899.

i am not in a position to get one now (i could financially, but i don't have my shop finished), possibly next year. by then, the major bugs should be worked out, and the price may go down a little.

also, i haven't checked yet, but if you want to find decent consumer info, go to this site:

www.epinions.com

i like reading reviews of real users instead of commercial hype...

I saw it in my Craftsman Club circular I received a few days ago, and they had another $100 or so off it. I can't find the circular right now.

Interesting... I'd like to see this thing opperating in person. I wonder if they'll be at the next Texas Woodworking Show.

Interesting... I'd like to see this thing opperating in person. I wonder if they'll be at the next Texas Woodworking Show.

I'm certain they will be as they are from down there aggie. I've done a little digging last couple days since tawilson turned me on to this thing. Yes, the Craftsman model is identical to the Carvewright, they just make them for Sears. Dig around on some of the forums though, and you will find that this little jewel does have a few drawbacks. Proprietary software for one thing, which means its a bit harder to import CAD stuff for example. They say they are working to fix this though. Main reason I decided it is not for me though, after reading up on things is that it is not designed for heavy usage. If you're a hobby woodworker who just wants to pop out a few plaques or signs once in a while for family and friends, it would be perfect. If you want to make a run of 100 football team logos every week for a business, you're gonna burn the thing up. They even kinda say that in their website. Light duty "hobby" use. Interesting little CNC router, but I think I'll hold out for the Shopbot type CNC machine one day when I can afford it or justify it for my little business. They are down in the $6K range now.. $4k if you build your own table... and every year they seem to get a little cheaper. With one of those, you can crunch stuff out on a bigger scale and not worry about durability issues as much. Only $2k for a CNC router though... I like the trend, hope others jump on the bandwagon.

CompuCarve Discount

I called Carve Wright on January 3rd after seeing the CompuCarve ad during a Bowl Game and doing some research here on the net and seeing that it was out of stock on Sears.com. The woman I spoke with at Carve Wright was delightful and told me that Sears has priority on many new machines being built but that Carve Wright would also have an allotment. Even though Sears has priority (which of course it should as their mass marketer) she advised that the wait list might be long. She suggested I place an order with both (no credit card required with Carve Wright) and see which comes in first. Carve Wright would not charge sales tax but would charge shipping. I did that with her and went to the local Sears store the same day (January 3rd). After much confusion with the cash register dude, an older gentleman was called who understood what I wanted. He said he had seen one in a Maryland Sears store himself and it looked awesome but had not seen it in operation. When he got involved and typed the right stuff into the cash register computer, it said they were expecting one or more on January 7th (4 days later). I said, “yeah right, they are backordered all over the country. I’d like to order one.” So I did and they wanted full payment up front of $1,899 + tax ($2,064 - high for a hobby toy - ow well, my wife suggested it for my birthday present in March). Yesterday, January 9th I clicked on www.sears.com to look at the machine ad again for some lusting looks and low and behold it is on sale this week (until January 13th) for $100 off at $1,799. Went back to the local Sears store last night. Once again dumbness at the cash register, but finally got someone to figure out that I had not ordered a $2,000 shop organizer. However, he said he would check in the back, which I thought was ridiculous. But low and behold he came out with the CompuCarve box on a hand truck. Wow! what a surprise. Got the $100 + tax ($119.49) price reduction and stuffed the box into the back seat of my 4-door Saturn SL-1 (yes the box is big but not huge). Must be my lucky week - should go buy a lottery ticket. It’s supposed to be my birthday present for March, but I’ve convinced my wife that I should check it out to make sure everything works under warrantee (*wink*). I’ll let you know if everything is in order with a later posting.

I'm certain they will be as they are from down there aggie. I've done a little digging last couple days since tawilson turned me on to this thing. Yes, the Craftsman model is identical to the Carvewright, they just make them for Sears. Dig around on some of the forums though, and you will find that this little jewel does have a few drawbacks. Proprietary software for one thing, which means its a bit harder to import CAD stuff for example. They say they are working to fix this though. Main reason I decided it is not for me though, after reading up on things is that it is not designed for heavy usage. If you're a hobby woodworker who just wants to pop out a few plaques or signs once in a while for family and friends, it would be perfect. If you want to make a run of 100 football team logos every week for a business, you're gonna burn the thing up. They even kinda say that in their website. Light duty "hobby" use. Interesting little CNC router, but I think I'll hold out for the Shopbot type CNC machine one day when I can afford it or justify it for my little business. They are down in the $6K range now.. $4k if you build your own table... and every year they seem to get a little cheaper. With one of those, you can crunch stuff out on a bigger scale and not worry about durability issues as much. Only $2k for a CNC router though... I like the trend, hope others jump on the bandwagon.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the Shopbot myself a few years ago and if I remember correctly they were in the 8k range. I like the trend too as I'd love to have one for flattening my slabs (and many other things).

I called Carve Wright on January 3rd after seeing the CompuCarve ad during a Bowl Game and doing some research here on the net and seeing that it was out of stock on Sears.com. The woman I spoke with at Carve Wright was delightful and told me that Sears has priority on many new machines being built but that Carve Wright would also have an allotment. Even though Sears has priority (which of course it should as their mass marketer) she advised that the wait list might be long. She suggested I place an order with both (no credit card required with Carve Wright) and see which comes in first. Carve Wright would not charge sales tax but would charge shipping. I did that with her and went to the local Sears store the same day (January 3rd). After much confusion with the cash register dude, an older gentleman was called who understood what I wanted. He said he had seen one in a Maryland Sears store himself and it looked awesome but had not seen it in operation. When he got involved and typed the right stuff into the cash register computer, it said they were expecting one or more on January 7th (4 days later). I said, “yeah right, they are backordered all over the country. I’d like to order one.” So I did and they wanted full payment up front of $1,899 + tax ($2,064 - high for a hobby toy - ow well, my wife suggested it for my birthday present in March). Yesterday, January 9th I clicked on www.sears.com to look at the machine ad again for some lusting looks and low and behold it is on sale this week (until January 13th) for $100 off at $1,799. Went back to the local Sears store last night. Once again dumbness at the cash register, but finally got someone to figure out that I had not ordered a $2,000 shop organizer. However, he said he would check in the back, which I thought was ridiculous. But low and behold he came out with the CompuCarve box on a hand truck. Wow! what a surprise. Got the $100 + tax ($119.49) price reduction and stuffed the box into the back seat of my 4-door Saturn SL-1 (yes the box is big but not huge). Must be my lucky week - should go buy a lottery ticket. It’s supposed to be my birthday present for March, but I’ve convinced my wife that I should check it out to make sure everything works under warrantee (*wink*). I’ll let you know if everything is in order with a later posting.

Cool! We like pictures here...:popcorn:

Welcome to AS!

compu-carve

this machine is made by Carvewright I belive they are in texas Sears i belive are out And $100 cheeper as of right now I am going to get one as soon as Sears get's them Address for the Carvewright and link http://www.carvewright.com/

LHR Technologies, Inc.
710 East Southmore Ave.
Pasadena, TX 77502

Phone: 713-473-6572
Hours: 9:00 - 6:00 PM, Monday - Friday

Whats the web site for CNC Machine? Never heard of it. Thanks

It's just an abbreviation for any type of computer controlled carving or milling or cutting machine. Here's the technical description.
"The abbreviation CNC stands for Computer Numerical Control, and refers specifically to a computer "controller" that reads G-code instructions and drives the machine tool, a powered mechanical device typically used to fabricate metal components by the selective removal of metal."

For anybody that might be interested, Sears.com now has compucarve units in stock. They go for $1900, then there would be shipping. As I said in an earlier post, I am holding out for a more robust CNC router like the shopbot that can take the rigors of somewhat higher production woodworking. They are still in the $5K range and above, but prices drop yearly.

Techno Da Vinci

Hi all,
Just thought i'd chime in a bit. I have a Techno Da Vinci CNC router in my shop classroom. I think it cost about 10,000 for a router with a 3 HP portercable router and a 36"x40" bed. We've had it for about two years, and are still learning more about it regularly. We run MasterCAM software for creating toolpaths, and AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor to create the geometry. MasterCAM has a decent learning curve to get good with. AutoCAD is really pretty simple. The router is is nice for creating repetitive pieces like symetrical back slats from porch swings and the such. Lots of uses. The techno has held up pretty well. I know of alot of schools that use it, and it seems to take the educational abuse pretty well. I will be getting another table top router from Denford in about a week. This will be a much smaller table top unit that is completely enclosed. It will only have a 16"x10" bed. I don't know exactly what it is worth, but it definately will not be the same substatial piece of equipment like the Techno.

... As I said in an earlier post, I am holding out for a more robust CNC router like the shopbot that can take the rigors of somewhat higher production woodworking. They are still in the $5K range and above, but prices drop yearly.

I posted the above a year and a half ago... and I finally did get a Shopbot as I had planned. For those interested, this is the smallest model they make, a BT32 alpha. On this model you actually have an area 25 x 36 that the router will work on (so why don't they call it a BT36 then?). It uses the exact same stepper motors and components as their larger full 48 x 96 table models. In the two smaller models (they also make a BT48), the table itself moves front to back, which is the X axis (25 inches long). the Y axis being the side to side movement (36 inches long), and the Z axis being the actual router up and down movement (5 inches). At any rate, I built a plywood hold down table and bolted it to that moving aluminum table. I installed T-track to be able to secure different sized jigs to hold small pieces and larger wood to the table as it's being worked on. This model has the closed loop motors that are designed to run accurately all day long all week long with a little more abuse than their standard ones. A little more expensive, but worth it in the long run as I plan to do some limited production runs with it once I ramp up my woodshop business and eventually do it full time when I retire. Don't let anybody tell you there isn't a fairly steep learning curve with these things, but if you are even halfway computer literate, you can handle it. The basic control programming is very similar to ancient BASIC language, fairly intuitive and easy to pick up. For more complex shapes and routing, it does come with good 2D and basic 3D software to be able to make part files (the actual file that tells the router where/when/how to move) to shape the part you designed. I have to say of all the toys in my shop, this one has the potential to be the most "fun". Yes I know, I coulda had a pretty nice bandmill instead, but I don't have the room for a bandmill let alone the lumber I would mill with it, where this 45 x 60 footprint I could squeeze into the shop, so the bot won out.
cnc8.jpg

cnc9.jpg

Latest posts

Back