Craftsman/David Bradley U4G Chainsaw Gear Drive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transonic 1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greeting... I am new to this site and hope some of you can help. I am very well versed on the Homelite XL-12 and Super XL saws, but recently acquired a Craftsman / David Bradly 917.60051 U4G chainsaw. I was amazed at how little information is available for these saws. I have tried for months to find an owner's manual for this saw, but always come up empty handed. Here are my questions, which I hope that some of you might be able to answer:

1) When was this model built?

2) The specs in the Chainsaw Collectors site for a 917.60051 shows a point setting of .020, but the point cover on the Phelon ignition is showing .015. I am assuming that the specs on the points cover is the one I should use? The engine is the Power Products AH47.

3) Is there an oil level in the gear box that should be maintained? All I know is that there is a note on the gear box to add a few drops of oil through the little cap every time you use the saw. I don't know if that is enough or if there should be a specific amount of oil inside the gear box. Also, what weight oil should I use?

4) Does anybody know where I could find an owner's manual for this specific model saw? They are no longer available through Sears.

Thank you...!!

IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0730.JPG

Cool looking old saw! I don't have any info on it, just wanted to tell yo nice score!

Thank you for your compliment. My best guess is that this is from the mid 1960's. It is almost new - looking through the exhaust port, there is no carbon build up on the top of the piston and the exhaust port is clean. It looks like some one bought, ran it for about 20 minutes, and decided it was too much saw and just let it sit. When I got it, it had no spark, so I cleaned and set the points and put a new kit it the carb and it fired right up and it runs out very strong. It is not pictured, but it came with a like new 20" bar and chain. I just hope someone on this site is familiar with these saws and can answer my questions.

Thank you for your compliment. My best guess is that this is from the mid 1960's. It is almost new - looking through the exhaust port, there is no carbon build up on the top of the piston and the exhaust port is clean. It looks like some one bought, ran it for about 20 minutes, and decided it was too much saw and just let it sit. When I got it, it had no spark, so I cleaned and set the points and put a new kit it the carb and it fired right up and it runs out very strong. It is not pictured, but it came with a like new 20" bar and chain. I just hope someone on this site is familiar with these saws and can answer my questions.

There's this thread, too, maybe a mod will move it

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/antique-saw-thread.128393/

Back