craigs list saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcavoy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ive recently developed a desire to obtain and horde chainsaws. there are a couple ads that have caught my attention.
first is a 550xp mk1 older missing cut out under decomp valve. saw looks slap wore out in person av loose as a goose, pulled muffler piston scored top 1/4 of it. asking 350$ told him sorry to waste his time "wanna hear it run" nah "make meh uh off fer" 200$ "300$". smart to walk?
second is an eager beaver 3.7 claimed runner and a timberwolf 3.7 parts claimed complete 125$ but 45mins one way. would 60-80$ be right or am I way off?
lastly a husky 254 se for 200$. 100-150?

Did you buy anything?

There’s a local bargain paper here. I watched an add for about a month it was a 72 suzuki ts185 dual sport for $400. We drove across the state to look at it. This night the World Series was on the radio and switching on and off was oj Simpson’s bronco chase, weird. But the seller didn’t get one call in a month. I offered him $175. He refused, my last offer was $200 he took it. The bike was in excellent condition.
My point is to follow adds and wait to offer the last minute. Remember to put on your poker face and haggle.

My son bought two ts 185’s a week before this one was for sale. I registered it for the street to get my motorcycle license. I aced the driving test.

Since we were on a roll with three bikes I advertised for more ts185’s. I bought a mint running ‘80 suzuki GS 750L for $150. The guy called me from my wanted add. It pays to stay browsing. Then if that doesn’t work place a wanted add.

I agree with @Huskybill, good deals are are out there but you gotta look alot to find them and get them.

Check craigslist, facebook marketplace, offerup, and of course here on the forums.

thanks for the encouragement. I haven't bought any off those saw I want a 550xp but not a wore out one. and I don't have anything that could pull that 42" bar :(

Stay looking one will show up. Look for a home owner for a used lightly saw. Pawn shops?

My husky 575 pulls a 32” bar with skip chain ok. My husky 385xp pulls a 32” bar skip chain ok.

If you are going to get into saws that you will be repairing, I would highly advise to look for cheaply priced, pro saws in good condition. Inevitably, saws USUALLY need more parts to repair than what you diagnose just by looking at them (especially if you are new in the "hobby").

Best to look for saws that "won't start after sitting" because then it is usually just a fuel problem. I have also bought some saws that "engine runs but chain won't go" which means they bent the bar or chain. Avoid the saws that are beat to death like the 550 you found unless they are ultra cheap.

If you plan to ever resell, best to search out Stihl and Husqvarna as their resale is much higher. Or older saws over 70 cc will also usually bring in some resale value.

Back