Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just had a reply from "free firewood"

"Hi Craig. I am kidding and being a jerk because I have seen lots of ads like that. The misspellings are intentional. Thanks for the reply. I will take the posting down.
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:41 PM
Subject: free firewood (milwuaukee)

Let's see, you expect someone who gets paid to remove trees to come and remove your garbage for the privilege of having the garbage? What have you been smoking?"

I suggested he might want to join us.:msp_w00t:

Not firewood, but some unique marketing none the less:

Buy the Kitten, get the combine for free

CL mankato all for sale / wanted farm & garden - by owner
[email protected] [?]
flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of

Posted: 2013-08-14, 8:46PM CDT
Buy the Kitten, get the combine for free - $76500 (Janesville)
Nine to choose from. The first one gets the combine.
507-four61-136four

01515_buj2qgB7c9q_600x450.jpg

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 4002677341

Posted: 2013-08-14, 8:46PM CDT

email to a friend

Avoid scams, deal locally! Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram).
Beware cashier checks, money orders, shipping, non-local buyers/sellers. More info

Here's one.

This one is funny not only because of the obvious frustration of the guy who posted it, but also because I have a story with it.

Two weeks ago I answered an ad: "lots of firewood, here is the address, need it gone today." So I called the number to make sure it was still there and the person who answered was clearly not the homeowner. We drove down with the SUV and the saw and found a guy working a big rented stump grinder in the backyard. We took an SUV-load of medium-sized elm pieces while the guy was packing up the grinder, and wound up leaving at about the same time.

Fast forward to yesterday and I see this ad:

View attachment 311982 (click to expand)

I recognize that pile. Most of what we left behind is still there. Apparently this guy posted a CL ad while he was working so that it would appear to the homeowner that someone was taking the pieces, and possibly used it as his opportunity to bail. Now I feel like an accomplice. Lincolnshire is a high-dollar Chicago suburb, where people "call the guy" rather than get their hands dirty, so this guy is probably not going to find too many local takers for pieces that big.

Side note: one of those trunk pieces has a nail embedded about a foot into the middle of it that was neatly exposed by the cutter's saw, skimmed perfectly right along its length. Chance in a million. I should have taken a picture.

I recognize that pile. Most of what we left behind is still there. Apparently this guy posted a CL ad while he was working so that it would appear to the homeowner that someone was taking the pieces, and possibly used it as his opportunity to bail. Now I feel like an accomplice.

You're not an accomplice, you're the guy who didn't finish the job. Now get back over there and get with it.

You're not an accomplice, you're the guy who didn't finish the job. Now get back over there and get with it.

You jest, but I'm sure the homeowner thinks that's exactly what I am.

I might take more of it anyway, if I had the space. The smaller pieces. But I don't have the gear to break up those trunk sections, and a carload of green elm is like driving home with your head stuck in a horse urinal.

You jest, but I'm sure the homeowner thinks that's exactly what I am.

I might take more of it anyway, if I had the space. The smaller pieces. But I don't have the gear to break up those trunk sections, and a carload of green elm is like driving home with your head stuck in a horse urinal.

Exactly the situation I had a few months ago...

Picked up a load of rounds (left from a tree-cutting service) from a nice old lady. I get there to pick up the wood and she starts asking questions about why the stump hadn't yet been ground down. Three months after the service and this lady still didn't have a finished job - sheesh. It was the tree service that arranged for me to pick up the rounds, so of course she thinks I work for the tree service. I end up texting the tree service guy, picking up the wood, and then let her know I'll return in the fall to split some other wood she has in her backyard. (Note to self: still need to figure out how to drag the SS about 30 miles to where she lives...)

Concerning those obvious spam/scam ads like the tractor, I wish CL could send a virus to the worthless scumbag poster's computer that would cause it to violently self destruct .

Concerning those obvious spam/scam ads like the tractor, I wish CL could send a virus to the worthless scumbag poster's computer that would cause it to violently self destruct .

I like to post ads for them. Ads for free flat screen TVs, free iPhones, free.... You get the idea. I had a car parts spammer swearing at me on CL (it was taken down very quickly, unlike his spam). After I posted another ad explaining his transgressions, he quit. Works better than flagging, not to mention more fun. Be creative.

Only trying to help

Free Wood (Norton)
I have a large black walnut tree that I need removed from the side
of my house and another tree in my back yard you cut down and you
take the wood free must be insured to cut down. Willing to pay a reasonable
price to have them removed but you don't get to take the wood I will sell it.
That is why I am offering for free to help people out that need the wood and can't
afford to buy it.
:laugh:

I like to post ads for them. Ads for free flat screen TVs, free iPhones, free.... You get the idea. I had a car parts spammer swearing at me on CL (it was taken down very quickly, unlike his spam). After I posted another ad explaining his transgressions, he quit. Works better than flagging, not to mention more fun. Be creative.

Would that be the ones that are parting out about five wrecked vehicles
and make separate posting for every uncrushed piece of the car?
(and yep, the floor mats get a special add too [ i promise I've seen it])
or the ones that post in every category on C'list?
Bonus points!! if they do the "1 ad per 1 part" in photography and pets sections.

or how about the "free TV mounts" guys that seem to have a pisssing contest at times.

Back