Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya. I'm into old cars and I see it all the time. A guy doesn't want to sell his Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Classic Car and his wife says, "Sell it!" So he takes his $5k car and puts it on ebay for $15k or $25k or whatever. He tells his wife that's how much it's worth and so she starts seeing dollar signs in her head. He can't lower the price or he'll have to admit he's an idiot for thinking it's worth more. His wife doesn't want to lower the price and admit to herself that she's not getting the $15k. Sometimes I think guys do this so they don't ever have to sell the car?
shhhhhh..... thats supposed to be a secret

FREE WOOD (Toledo,Ohio)

image 6 of 6
00G0G_37BwSvpsxkJ_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

I have six (6) large trees in my backyard that needs to be cut down and removed safely, whoever cuts and removes and clean the backyard area can have the wood for free. So if you are interested please call Edith@

Who the heck would let trees in that spot even continue to grow? I'd have cut them as soon as they were more than little weeds!

Edit... looking at the other pics, looks like it's a place that's been abandoned for a while, so maybe they just bought it and are cleaning up?

Probably 4-5k worth of tree work for $100 of logs haha.

My friend did a small land clearing job several years ago. The property owner wanted several trees by his house removed. My friend wanted to wait and get someone to climb them so they could pull them with the skidder.
The guy claimed it was "cake" to cut a tree, went out in his shed and grabbed his Wild Thing. He cut down the tree alright. It landed right over the house. Blew out a bedroom window and poked through the roof!

I hear ya. I'm into old cars and I see it all the time. A guy doesn't want to sell his Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Classic Car and his wife says, "Sell it!" So he takes his $5k car and puts it on ebay for $15k or $25k or whatever. He tells his wife that's how much it's worth and so she starts seeing dollar signs in her head. He can't lower the price or he'll have to admit he's an idiot for thinking it's worth more. His wife doesn't want to lower the price and admit to herself that she's not getting the $15k. Sometimes I think guys do this so they don't ever have to sell the car?
wife wants to sell our house and build a new one. OK, listed for about $50grand more than I think it will bring. First 6 months went ok, now she is getting antsey. Listing is up in Dec, Might have to knock off $5grand and relist. Got to keep the peace you know.

Talk about greedy. It's not enough you work for free with an emphasis on safety but they always require clean up as well. I'd be tickled pink if I went to a nice restaurant, enjoyed a nice meal, compliments of them of course, and all they asked was I throw my trash away and put the dishes in the sink. Id never cook again.

June of 2016, my wife found a CL ad for FREE FIREWOOD, that did turn out to be a good deal for us, Marty lived about 20 miles from us, and had 5 Large trees cut down, 4 Norwegian Spruce and a Big Pine, all around 30-33" at the stump. We got there, and the trees were on the ground, limbed and bucked into rounds :) some of the rounds were inconsistent in size, but there IS that looking a Gift Horse in the mouth thing and all ;). Marty let us bring a splitter onto the property, drive the truck and trailer right up to where the trees were cut and laying, he even helped load a lot more than I would have expected, was very pleasant to be around, frequently offered us cold drinks, etc. We ended up with over 6 cords (Full, not Face :D) Heated our house for a good part of the winter with that wood.
The CL Laugh in this story? It WASN'T the homeowner that had unrealistic expectations, it was the people calling about the ad, Marty said "You wouldn't believe how many people called, and when they found out it WASN'T SPLIT, and DELIVERED FOR FREE, they weren't interested" :confused:, I felt we were getting a heck of a deal, and was piling debris, and he said "Don't worry about that stuff, I'll deal with it" Needless to say, I was Hoping that he had MORE trees that he wanted to go away this year, No such Luck :(

Doug

Who the heck would let trees in that spot even continue to grow? I'd have cut them as soon as they were more than little weeds!

Edit... looking at the other pics, looks like it's a place that's been abandoned for a while, so maybe they just bought it and are cleaning up?

Probably 4-5k worth of tree work for $100 of logs haha.

My friend did a small land clearing job several years ago. The property owner wanted several trees by his house removed. My friend wanted to wait and get someone to climb them so they could pull them with the skidder.
The guy claimed it was "cake" to cut a tree, went out in his shed and grabbed his Wild Thing. He cut down the tree alright. It landed right over the house. Blew out a bedroom window and poked through the roof!
That was my first thought, the first pic that popped up was the trees against the foundation, then I looked at the rest. When I saw, "call Edith", I got to thinking it might be an elderly lady with a yard out of control. Who knows, Joe.

June of 2016, my wife found a CL ad for FREE FIREWOOD, that did turn out to be a good deal for us, Marty lived about 20 miles from us, and had 5 Large trees cut down, 4 Norwegian Spruce and a Big Pine, all around 30-33" at the stump. We got there, and the trees were on the ground, limbed and bucked into rounds :) some of the rounds were inconsistent in size, but there IS that looking a Gift Horse in the mouth thing and all ;). Marty let us bring a splitter onto the property, drive the truck and trailer right up to where the trees were cut and laying, he even helped load a lot more than I would have expected, was very pleasant to be around, frequently offered us cold drinks, etc. We ended up with over 6 cords (Full, not Face :D) Heated our house for a good part of the winter with that wood.
The CL Laugh in this story? It WASN'T the homeowner that had unrealistic expectations, it was the people calling about the ad, Marty said "You wouldn't believe how many people called, and when they found out it WASN'T SPLIT, and DELIVERED FOR FREE, they weren't interested" :confused:, I felt we were getting a heck of a deal, and was piling debris, and he said "Don't worry about that stuff, I'll deal with it" Needless to say, I was Hoping that he had MORE trees that he wanted to go away this year, No such Luck :(

Doug
I answered a few Craigslist ads back around '09-'11. On turned out to be a neighbor and friend. That was a great deal. He had 3 acres of land he wanted cleared. Lots of junk (both scrap iron and wood) in there and he just wanted it cleaned up. He used his tractor to pile the brush and stack the logs so all I had to do was cut. Came back later to take the wood. Between myself and 2 other guys we took about 45-50 cord out of there. Lots of nice ash but then there was plenty of boxelder too. Another buddy of mine brought in a dozer and an excavator to deal with the stumps. In less than a month it went from old falling down trees to dirt ready for grass

That was my first thought, the first pic that popped up was the trees against the foundation, then I looked at the rest. When I saw, "call Edith", I got to thinking it might be an elderly lady with a yard out of control. Who knows, Joe.

I thought maybe the same thing, but as ValleyFirewood said, 4-5k in work for $100 in wood... :drinkingcoffee:

Cherry firewood - $150 (Landisville) hide this posting
image 2 of 2
00T0T_cXlBKFgpMPH_600x450.jpg

00D0D_iEloXb1nc3p_600x450.jpg

condition: good

Selling cherry firewood. Trunk is about 6ft long and 28 inches diameter. The remainder of the tree that splits into 2 is over 15 ft long. If you cut and split will equal to close to 1 1/2- 2 chords.
Typical chord sells for $180 so your saving over $100.
Must cut and haul yourself

Cherry firewood - $150 (Landisville) hide this posting
image 2 of 2
00T0T_cXlBKFgpMPH_600x450.jpg

00D0D_iEloXb1nc3p_600x450.jpg

condition: good

Selling cherry firewood. Trunk is about 6ft long and 28 inches diameter. The remainder of the tree that splits into 2 is over 15 ft long. If you cut and split will equal to close to 1 1/2- 2 chords.
Typical chord sells for $180 so your saving over $100.
Must cut and haul yourself

6'x28" + 2 smaller pieces x15' long. must be a "Face Cord" and a half ;),
"Typical chord sells for $180" Of course, he is forgetting, that price "Typically" includes CUT, SPLIT, SEASONED and DELIVERED, but we all KNOW there is little if any value in those MINOR details, the REAL VALUE is in the WOOD ITSELF :dumb::laughing:

Doug

6'x28" + 2 smaller pieces x15' long. must be a "Face Cord" and a half ;),
"Typical chord sells for $180" Of course, he is forgetting, that price "Typically" includes CUT, SPLIT, SEASONED and DELIVERED, but we all KNOW there is little if any value in those MINOR details, the REAL VALUE is in the WOOD ITSELF :dumb::laughing:

Doug
Yes....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back