Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some of you know, I has a great score on C.L a couple of weeks ago (see Craiglist Locust).So, with high hopes, I answered another "Free Firewood" ad a few days ago by providing my name, address and # to the e-mail account.I got a call yesterday from the woman who told me that she had two trees down, and if I did "a little work" I could have the wood.I didn't hang up until she had mentioned 'new roof', 'replace rotted fascia and soffit' and, I think, 'paint'.After all, she said, she was "just a woman" and couldn't do these things! I just want to know whose ex-wife this was...
what the bleep is wrong with people

It’s not just that it’s only the Left boot; but he posted 7 pictures of it!
View attachment 1083408

Philbert

One of my brothers is a left leg amputee, he used to talk about finding a right leg amputee so together they’d only need to buy one set of shoes.

One of my brothers is a left leg amputee, he used to talk about finding a right leg amputee so together they’d only need to buy one set of shoes.
I have a cousin who wears different size shoes on his left and right feet. 50 years ago (! Pre-Internet!) my aunt found an organization that matched partners. So it is a legitimate need.

But 7 photos needed?

Philbert

My pet peeve about CL ad posters is when they say you have to take all the wood or none at all... and there are easily 7 truckloads of 4' diameter 12-18" thick douglas fir rounds, exaggerating a little, at the base of the tree anyways. (This tree was a monster)
Easy access, thought it would be 4-5 truckloads but those big rounds were a lot more work that I originally thought they would be with my 1 ton diesel and liftgate. (don't have a trailer yet)
About 2 weeks later all the wood was completely gone. Found out there was even more wood but the first guy who answered the ad got 2 truckloads of smaller rounds and gave up on all the big stuff. (Most of the tree was huge is my guess) Been sitting for a year homeowner had big plans for all the wood but plans never came to fruition... You know the story.
He was really, really happy when I was down to the last truckload and raking the grass up for him, and said just little stuff left you can have a few fires in the fall like you always wanted to...
Here's one of the truckloads... Some big stuff there might be the final load even... Free is never Free! Not with firewood anyways... a lot of diesel fuel, log splitter fuel, chainsaw maintenance and gas, oil, etc, parts...
Fun though when it's all done and I burned this stuff from 2020 fall to spring of 2022 and still had a few pieces left over. Got 3 more loads last fall, good score and close by, more fir.
I always tell myself that I will just go for the easy stuff, but get roped into the big rounds as I have the liftgate and can get them in the truck! No one else could, not even 3 guys, no way... 3 arnold Shwarzenegger's or Andre' the Giants probably but not 3 normal guys...
I got the liftgate years ago... 500$ Then Husqvarna 372xpw, blew up on me recently (siezed piston) so rebuilding it now, 650$ used, now another 4-500$ for rebuild parts.
And all the time involved! Then last November a tree fell in the backyard, and am still working on that, luckily it's not so big... fell perfectly in the backyard, no damages...nice view now! Probably was a christmas tree 50 years ago they planted, (former owners were in 90's when I bought the place in 2004, both have passed of course). No more shade...

A lot of work but sure has led to some nice pictures!
Think I got all my wood for this year, just have to chop up some wood is all...
TheBeast.jpgElmosTree2.jpgIMG_20220924_120659537.jpg

Always have to find firewood every year, earlier the better.. Craigslist is okay but you have to be a flake sometimes and "flake out" and go for the big stuff, or the easy stuff! Lift gate really intimidates people with thier little Ford Rangers and hand trucks... But I let them have all the little pieces! Lol... Usually if I show up to some ad and another person is there, we both get full truckloads out of the deal or I let them have it all if there's not enough for everyone. I can always get more free wood. ALWAYS!!! Endless supply where I live in the Seattle and Cascade Mountains... Just have to go get it! And split it, and stack it... For the rest of your days basically... Theres a big round there I got in the truck off Craigslist in 2020... Bottom right of that log is a green metal pipe I use to roll it around with over to the splitter with the Peavey. That's a 4 footer there I am pretty sure, wheels on the splitter are at least 36" wide.
Tree to the right is the one we lost last winter, going to miss my tree!

Sorry to hijack the post and show off all my pictures! Lol... Just realized that. I'll go off in the mountains again where I came from...
IMG_20200815_132023535.jpg

Always have to find firewood every year, earlier the better.. Craigslist is okay but you have to be a flake sometimes and "flake out" and go for the big stuff, or the easy stuff! Lift gate really intimidates people with thier little Ford Rangers and hand trucks... But I let them have all the little pieces! Lol... Usually if I show up to some ad and another person is there, we both get full truckloads out of the deal or I let them have it all if there's not enough for everyone. I can always get more free wood. ALWAYS!!! Endless supply where I live in the Seattle and Cascade Mountains... Just have to go get it! And split it, and stack it... For the rest of your days basically... Theres a big round there I got in the truck off Craigslist in 2020... Bottom right of that log is a green metal pipe I use to roll it around with over to the splitter with the Peavey. That's a 4 footer there I am pretty sure, wheels on the splitter are at least 36" wide.
Tree to the right is the one we lost last winter, going to miss my tree!

Sorry to hijack the post and show off all my pictures! Lol... Just realized that. I'll go off in the mountains again where I came from...
View attachment 1087688
I rip those down to handleable size with a saw!

Hope I'm not posting too much information here. This is too far away from me, but to get the wood you gotta provide free labor as well! Let me see if I can find a better free wood ad out here. Camano Island is a fairly rural area North of Seattle and Everett WA. Maybe an hour from the Canadian Border which takes you into Vancouver BC. West Coast all the way.

By the way, this is open right now! Someone better jump on the firewood!

freewood.JPG

Good deal here if you're set up to cut load and haul away, they probably want you to take it all! And there's a lot of it! View attachment 1088814View attachment 1088815
IMG_20230607_152249076.jpg

New parts in front old parts in rear, wheeling and dealing to get a new 372 long block under or just at 400$. Had to part with the crankcase in the back, but new one in front is an OEM case, and OEM Gilardoni 50mm Cylinder/Piston. So the point of this post is, I can't go get that firewood yet! Have to get this sucker running again! Front image...

Of course it will be a "Frankensaw" now, but all OEM parts 100%. Might mod it a bit. When your piston looks like that one, you ain't cuttin' no wood! IMG_20230607_152249076.jpgIMG_20230526_171204267 (1).jpgIMG_20230526_190917190 (1).jpg

(It still ran with that piston! ) I shut it down though...

Here's what you have to do when you don't have a running chainsaw! You are still a cheap A$$ though! Like me! Lol... I look for deals like these, eliminates a lot of the "free wood" issues. You have to contact the seller, pay him the $$ in person. You have a guaranteed truckload of wood waiting for you when you show up. I like deals like this one... No Joke!
CheapWood.JPG

If it was priced "per round" that is a joke! No way... Per Truckload that is what I like! Pickup truckload.... 1 ton with liftgate and landscape rack... almost 9' bed that way, and about a cord of rounds for 25$ Shhh.... Usually I get it for free but have to do "extra stuff" to get the wood. Like saw it into rounds, move it, pull out of a brush pile, Free is never Free! As I always say now.

Picture with the truck was last fall, had to buck all the stuff up and load it into the truck is all. It was Free and got it through a Craigslist Ad! Good deal, burned it up last winter. About 3 cords of firewood. Extra bonus points if you know what TV show the lumberjack is from! Lol...Kind of goes with the other pictures I thought.IMG_20220918_141746636.jpgWoodstove.jpgIsiahEdwards.jpg

Here's what you have to do when you don't have a running chainsaw! You are still a cheap A$$ though! Like me! Lol... I look for deals like these, eliminates a lot of the "free wood" issues. You have to contact the seller, pay him the $$ in person. You have a guaranteed truckload of wood waiting for you when you show up. I like deals like this one... No Joke!
View attachment 1089426

If it was priced "per round" that is a joke! No way... Per Truckload that is what I like! Pickup truckload.... 1 ton with liftgate and landscape rack... almost 9' bed that way, and about a cord of rounds for 25$ Shhh.... Usually I get it for free but have to do "extra stuff" to get the wood. Like saw it into rounds, move it, pull out of a brush pile, Free is never Free! As I always say now.

Picture with the truck was last fall, had to buck all the stuff up and load it into the truck is all. It was Free and got it through a Craigslist Ad! Good deal, burned it up last winter. About 3 cords of firewood. Extra bonus points if you know what TV show the lumberjack is from! Lol...Kind of goes with the other pictures I thought.View attachment 1089421View attachment 1089423View attachment 1089424
Little house of course! Cool alcove.

Back