Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will trade green firewood for motorcycles and chainsaws

Can't blame a guy for trying!

Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-03, 8:54PM EDT

Green firewood, cut, split, 16-18in. lengths, delived within 15 miles, $195 a cord.
Will also trade firewood for motorcycles, atvs, snowmobiles, chainsaws, almost anything try me.
Give me a call at (603)290-7986 Thanks

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1152941271

Not firewood.........

But interesting nonetheless !

Might be handy to have around for when the Chinese invade. :cheers:

We have had this tank in the back yard for many years. Kids used to use it as a fort but now we want a pool. Does not run currently, missing the tracks, and does not have functional weapons. Do not know how it got here came with the house when we bought it in 1997. Tried using a tow truck, that wont do it. Chain saw blade broke before the tank did. Free for the taking....

FreeTank.jpg

What a bargain!!!! - Think I'll have to jump on it - oh wait they want to GET $50 per tree - no thanks!!!

Date: 2009-05-07, 9:58PM CDT

Have alot of firewood for you to cut down. At $50.00 per tree. Almost all is pine.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1160102546

Grandmas baking

Need help with tree trim and removal (milwaukee)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-05-08, 10:12PM CDT

Looking for some help for my grandma. She lives on her own and has three trees that need to be trimmed out with two for sure needing to be removed. She cannot afford much, but is an excellent cook and baker and would defintely be willing to bake some banana breads if desired. I can meet anyone willing to help to see the trees if desired...would like to get these taken care of before the next big storm as they are unsteady.
Thanks so much.
:dizzy::spam:

Need help with tree trim and removal (milwaukee)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-05-08, 10:12PM CDT

Looking for some help for my grandma. She lives on her own and has three trees that need to be trimmed out with two for sure needing to be removed. She cannot afford much, but is an excellent cook and baker and would defintely be willing to bake some banana breads if desired. I can meet anyone willing to help to see the trees if desired...would like to get these taken care of before the next big storm as they are unsteady.
Thanks so much.
:dizzy::spam:

I'd probably bite on that one if I was closer - I'm a sucker for good banana bread!

email this posting to a friend flint craigslist > free stuff
please flag with care:

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
Campfire wood (or just 'firewood' I guess if you're brave) (Tuscola County)

Reply to:[email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-19, 9:17PM EDT

The DTE guy hacked up two of my trees, and mother nature massacred another. I want them out of my yard now. It's completely free, no strings attached. Just don't be asking me "is it in stove-lengths?" It's free. Seriously. Just take it.

There is, I think, a willow, an elm and a crabapple; I'm no botanist. I probably wouldn't burn it indoors, but then again, I'm a sissy. I'm sure it will make perfectly lovely s'mores as part of your Memorial Day bonfire. I should mention, this isn't one of those "you cut and haul" deals. It's cut up into chunks that one man can pick up for the most part -- I just didn't split it. (See photo below, and there are two more piles just like it.) Hell, I have a manual log splitter, and if you want to sign a waiver, you're free to use it before you go. I don't care; it's your time. I just don't want you losing a thumb and then trying to sue me over your free firewood.

Email me, and I'll give you my address if I can be reasonably sure you're not a serial killer looking for easy pickins. And in deference to our Emerald Ash Borer friends, don't tell me where you live when you come get it, because I might, in a fit of conscience, decline to allow you to cross county lines with it. Not likely, but possible.

In short, free wood, no axe murderers.

PostingID: 1179511006

Copyright © 2009 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

email this posting to a friend flint craigslist >

In short, free wood, no axe murderers.

PostingID: 1179511006

This actually sounds like pretty decent deal - nice enough lister too. Wish I lived closer (and had the time)

http://wichita.craigslist.org/zip/1191800520.html

I smell a rat.Old Elmer has a pretty good set of guns for an old guy.

Gas power chainsaw for FREE. It is in good working condition. I don't have any use for any more because of my age. maybe someone else can get some good use. It is absolutely FREE.
Just E-MAIL me for directions. I need it gone by Saturday. May 30.

Thank you,

Elmer Andrews
attachment.php

I think you might have blown a good deal.

A lot of people give away good stuff for free on CL, FreeCycle, etc.

What is (was) your risk?

Philbert

Lots of people get scammed on craigs.I found the ad after several other people had posted ads saying "can't get my email through to you"
People might give away a Wild Thing, but don't bet the farm that 1) an old guy would use email instead of the phone 2)It needs to be gone by Saturday(?) and 3)he'll give away a near-new Stihl to a stranger.This is some sort of scam, I guarantee.

maybe scam, but no real down side to investigate.
not like he is asking for a credit card to ship it to you......
no real risk, I'd have been on that phone so fast and check it out.
and taken him a gift certificate to dinner somewhere.

maybe it illustrates how pervasive the scammers are, that we immediately assume the worst.
now, for just $25 shipping I can sell you this nice saw my nigerian friend has.....

could be an email harvesting scam though. I get plenty of those. CL here lets you respond to an ad with link through CL, the email is protected. However, REPLYING to an inquiry uses the actual listing persons email. We got plenty of scam inquiries about renting out the basement. FInally figured out they were harvesting email addresses, so at risk of being rude if someone was actually legit, I simply did not reply to most of them.

Last edited:
I agree with most of your points, but the old adage (pre-'net) about a deal sounding too good to be true holds a lot of weight with me.I could have gotten excited, like several guys apparently did, and wasted time and effort trying to track this guy down.Look at his listing; it was not written by an older person,IMO, and the use of upper case "FREE" is an old snake oil technique.Again, why the hurry to give away a valuable thing that takes up little space? I am not devious enough to know why he is trying to scam me, but I am wise enough to know he is trying to.

Latest posts

Back