Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"FREE"(firewood)Live Oak-Tree! (mobile)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-11-16, 2:40AM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Large Live Oak-Tree "FREE" for the Cutting of Tree and Removal of Stump!..Tree Available "ONLY" To A Professional Tree Service Company!...Please Do Not Respond If You Intend On Charging A Fee Of Any Kind!...This Tree Will Generate Alot of Profit/Money from the Sale of Fire-Wood This Season And Will Easily Pay For The Involved Labor And Still Leave Plenty Of Profit/Money To Be Pocketed From The Removal Of This Tree And stump!... Professional Tree Companies Only Reply!....This Tree Is Available On A First Come-First Serve Basis's "Only" And Has To Be Done & Completed "ASAP"!!!

That's nothing to laugh at... it boggles my mind that someone would put this up... :msp_confused:

I'm no pro at all. Just a hobbyist who helps my father in law a lot & loves to run saws & split wood - people who think that their crap is worth this much simply make me mad. :angry2:

I used to think that if I won the lottery, I'd get ISA certified, get some climbing gear & sign on with a little tree service for cheap. I could never deal with a potential customer who DEMANDED this kind of attention. I would want to drop the eff-ing tree on their roof & leave.

Here's what I wrote to the person who posted the ad:

"Saw your ad for "free" firewood.

I must say, I was chagrined to read your list of demands.

Do you really think that a tree service is going to cut down your tree for free? Do you know the difference between wood and firewood?

It doesn't matter if your tree is 300 feet tall and 10 feet across at the base - it's not firewood until it is cut into wood stove-sized chunks and seasoned until it's dry enough to burn. That takes time - especially in AL where humidity isn't a friend of firewood. Burnable (read Marketable) firewood needs to be less than 18% moisture content. How long will it take to get live oak down to 18% moisture? In the north, where it gets DARN cold, it takes two years.

Seasoned cords of oak (4'x4'x8') are selling for anywhere from $150-$250 per cord. Not seeing any pictures, I'm betting your tree doesn't have more than 5 cords in it - that's a VERY generous estimate. A person would be lucky to get $1250 for that amount of wood - and that's 2 years from now.

How much do you think it costs to buy the equipment to cut down a tree? A decent bucket truck costs a minimum of $40,000. An arborist-quality chainsaw is $500-$700 - and it requires more than one saw to take down a 'highly valueable tree' such as yours. A wood splitter worthy of a tree service will cost upwards of $3000. That's $44,000 for the equipment alone. How much do you think it costs for the liability insurance for the (very risky!) job of cutting down a tree in Mobile where property damage, and risk to life and limb is a distinct possibility? Then there is the cost of paying a crew to do the work. Those costs need to be covered. Granted, those costs are (ideally) spread evenly over the course of the working life of the equipment but those costs are not zero & the workers have bills too. They don't work for free.

Please realize that what you are asking for is a non-starter for any businessperson who wants to stay in business."

Last edited:
That's nothing to laugh at... it boggles my mind that someone would put this up... :msp_confused:

I'm no pro at all. Just a hobbyist who helps my father in law a lot & loves to run saws & split wood - people who think that their crap is worth this much simply make me mad. :angry2:

I used to think that if I won the lottery, I'd get ISA certified, get some climbing gear & sign on with a little tree service for cheap. I could never deal with a potential customer who DEMANDED this kind of attention. I would want to drop the eff-ing tree on their roof & leave.

Do you really think that a tree service is going to cut down your tree for free? Do you know the difference between wood and firewood?

It doesn't matter if your tree is 300 feet tall and 10 feet across at the base - it's not firewood until it is cut into wood stove-sized chunks and seasoned until it's dry enough to burn. That takes time - especially in AL where humidity isn't a friend of firewood. Burnable (read Marketable) firewood needs to be less than 18% moisture content. How long will it take to get live oak down to 18% moisture? In the north, where it gets DARN cold, it takes two years.

Seasoned cords of oak (4'x4'x8') are selling for anywhere from $150-$250 per cord. Not seeing any pictures, I'm betting your tree doesn't have more than 5 cords in it - that's a VERY generous estimate. A person would be lucky to get $1250 for that amount of wood - and that's 2 years from now.

How much do you think it costs to buy the equipment to cut down a tree? A decent bucket truck costs a minimum of $40,000. An arborist-quality chainsaw is $500-$700 - and it requires more than one saw to take down a 'highly valueable tree' such as yours. A wood splitter worthy of a tree service will cost upwards of $3000. That's $44,000 for the equipment alone. How much do you think it costs for the liability insurance for the (very risky!) job of cutting down a tree in Mobile where property damage, and risk to life and limb is a distinct possibility? Then there is the cost of paying a crew to do the work. Those costs need to be covered. Granted, those costs are (ideally) spread evenly over the course of the working life of the equipment but those costs are not zero & the workers have bills too. They don't work for free.

Please realize that what you are asking for is a non-starter for any businessperson who wants to stay in business."

You did good...I just want to tell him he's an #######...

Don't forget he wants you to grind the stump too. I bet guys are lining up for this.

rats, the pic won't show. I am thinking his idea of 2/3 cords is quite a bit smaller than my idea.....

FREE FIREWOOD

I have part of a cut down tree that is available for free. You come and cut it up and it's all yours. I'm guessing there is at least about 2 fireplace cords of wood here. Call 651-472-3541 to arrange day/time.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Fire wood firewood Alabama

rats, the pic won't show. I am thinking his idea of 2/3 cords is quite a bit smaller than my idea.....

FREE FIREWOOD

I have part of a cut down tree that is available for free. You come and cut it up and it's all yours. I'm guessing there is at least about 2 fireplace cords of wood here. Call 651-472-3541 to arrange day/time.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

attachment.php

Try that. Not a lot of wood there, bud!

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

FREE FIREWOOD located in South Jordan Utah. You cut, you load, you haul, you save ! Old Cottonwood trees, dry & dead for 2 yrs. 1st come 1st severed call Blake @ ....."

Subtle, but caught my eye. "1st come 1st severed"

(For the "ain't from around here crowd", KSL is the local version of Craigslist. Craigslist isn't nearly as popular as KSL around here, which I think is one of the only exceptions to the Craigslist hegemony.)

Saw an ad on CL for 1 cord of firewood for 80 tokens. Went and looked at it and it was all stacked and split but rotten. Had fungus on it, not covered with anything. Looked like it had been sitting there for 5 years under elements.

LOL i always reply to those valuable black walnut wood or cut and a % of mill adds.

I send them a message and say I'm very interested in your tree.

If you could please cut it down, remove the limbs, cut it into 14" sections, then split each about 6 times, then stack into 4' high rows so i can see how much wood you have.
I'm willing to go as high as 75$ for each full cord less fuel to pick it up.
That is a good price for green very average firewood doubt you will get such a good offer again.

Please contact me when it's ready for pickup.

Last edited:
We had a add that had a guythathad a Pine tree that he would sell for a hundred bucks, you hae to cut it down, and haul away. It had a pic over a monster tree next to a row of solar panels

We had a add that had a guythathad a Pine tree that he would sell for a hundred bucks, you hae to cut it down, and haul away. It had a pic over a monster tree next to a row of solar panels

So, it was in a location of enlightenment?

Maybe he'd get lucky and have somebody on a "power trip" show up and cut it down. :rock:

Black walnut trees for lumber

Hi,

We are selling 3 black walnut trees. We are willing to take the tops off for you. We have scanned them with a metal detector.

There are only 3 trees.

86" diameter and the 1st limb is 14' up.
60" diameter and the 1st limb is 11' up.
70" diameter and the 1st limb is 16' up.

$3000... how much ya figger it would cost per bf after processing?

Back