Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about given up on CL. I see so many ads that people are asking more for their used saws than a new saw goes for. Not sure what some of these people are thinking.

I agree. I'm seeing saw prices here that are nuts. Might as well throw a little more with it and get a new one. My favorite ads are the "lightly used(that look beat) 290 stihl- $425" makes me want to call and tell them "list is $399."

Gotta admire this guy's honesty - even if his price is a bit high:

Chainsaw (CS-310 echo 14") w/ Frozen engine - $100 (Lakeville)
00n0n_1iuoAoDO6T0_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Chainsaw froze during use which led to the unfortunate discovery that the oil/gas mixture was missing the oil. I already bought a replacement but was advised by the shops repair guy to post the chainsaw for $100 as likely someone is willing to tinker with it.

I have 3 or 4 chains for it and the current one was not dull at the time of mishap. These chains were purchased at home depot under the advise of the staff there, but the repair guy said its slightly the wrong chain type and advised against using them further. Got plently of use out of these wrong chains ... will include them but use at your own risk. The other chains are dull but can be resharpened fairly cheap.

Chainsaw worked flawlessly before the fuel screw up. (Yes, not one of my brighter moments)
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posting ID: 4196019919

Posted: 15 days ago

email to a friend

I have about given up on CL. I see so many ads that people are asking more for their used saws than a new saw goes for. Not sure what some of these people are thinking.

I missed a heck of a deal a while back on CL. I saw a running Stihl 090 with a four foot bar advertised for $500.00, of course I called the guy immediately. I thought I had a great chance of scoring it and was hoping the seller didn't know what he had. The ad had been posted only a few hours earlier. When I called, I discovered somebody had already beat me to it and I was put on standby in case the deal didn't go through. No such luck. It will probably be a long time before a chance like this comes up again. Today, I saw a lot of three chainsaws advertised for $60, non runners. A mac, a box store Poulan, and an old Homelite. I like fixing up non runners, but don't like the parts hassles with some of the old stuff made by companies long since out of business.

Is this fella asking too much? (it is in the suburbs)

If you've had a tree fall (preferably oak) >>and are willing to help<< .... let me know, I'm looking for firewood. I have a couple of chainsaws, handtruck, wheelbarrel and a large trailer/truck. Looking for a neighborly win-win situation. I've got a real 9 to 5 job, so weekends are best. If you've got a tree leaning on your house... call a pro.

Is this fella asking too much? (it is in the suburbs)

If you've had a tree fall (preferably oak) >>and are willing to help<< .... let me know, I'm looking for firewood. I have a couple of chainsaws, handtruck, wheelbarrel and a large trailer/truck. Looking for a neighborly win-win situation. I've got a real 9 to 5 job, so weekends are best. If you've got a tree leaning on your house... call a pro.

Umm other ppl don't get to run my saws.. :) And yes that seems a bit absurb.

This was on kijiji. Lets see you compete with them.

Firewood splitting and cutting.
Date Listed 07-Dec-13
Price $25.00
Address , ON N0J, Canada View map
Hi we are offering firewood cutting and splitting in the Brantford Woodstock and Paris area. Our rate is 25$ a hour. That price gets you 2 guys. We have 2 chainsaws and a 22 ton log splitter that will go through just about anything. Must be a minimum of a hour work.

This ad was posted with the Kijiji mobile app.
Visits: 25

This was on kijiji. Lets see you compete with them.

Firewood splitting and cutting.
Date Listed 07-Dec-13
Price $25.00
Address , ON N0J, Canada View map
Hi we are offering firewood cutting and splitting in the Brantford Woodstock and Paris area. Our rate is 25$ a hour. That price gets you 2 guys. We have 2 chainsaws and a 22 ton log splitter that will go through just about anything. Must be a minimum of a hour work.

This ad was posted with the Kijiji mobile app.
Visits: 25

Better than going around breaking into camps, etc. work is work!

This one isn't firewood but the guy likely had wood at some point. I think it should be worth $600?
$500 Home Depot Gift Card
Date Listed 12-Dec-13
Price $500.00
Address Kitchener, ON N2A 1E1, Canada
View map
Purchased a Home Depot gift card that I will no longer be using. Looking to sell for $500. Price is firm, please do not message if you will be offering less.

This one isn't firewood but the guy likely had wood at some point. I think it should be worth $600?
$500 Home Depot Gift Card
Date Listed 12-Dec-13
Price $500.00
Address Kitchener, ON N2A 1E1, Canada
View map
Purchased a Home Depot gift card that I will no longer be using. Looking to sell for $500. Price is firm, please do not message if you will be offering less.

Why would anyone buy this for face value from an CL add and take the chance there's some fraud involved, when for the same money, you could buy one straight from HD. The guy should take 5%-10% off for that, and be able to prove what the unused balance on the gift card is. At least that's the way I see it.

Why would anyone buy this for face value from an CL add and take the chance there's some fraud involved, when for the same money, you could buy one straight from HD. The guy should take 5%-10% off for that, and be able to prove what the unused balance on the gift card is. At least that's the way I see it.
well said, for that price i would meet at a home depot and have them check the balance before i jumped. i would also expect to see a bigger savings off the card price, there is NO advantage to buying a used card for its face value from some stranger.

well said, for that price i would meet at a home depot and have them check the balance before i jumped. i would also expect to see a bigger savings off the card price, there is NO advantage to buying a used card for its face value from some stranger.

The local grocery store sells gift cards and every $50 you spend gets you $.10 off per gallon at the gas station.. A decent project with a couple trips to Home depot can net you a free tank of gas.. That's the only advantage I could see to using a gift card over cash. As you said buying one without that for face value makes no sense..

For future reference..
There is a phone number on the back you can call, enter the number on the card and they'll tell you the balance. You have to scratch it off to read the number, like on a lottery ticket. If that number's uncovered before you get there, the seller can use the card to buy something online, after you've paid them for it..

Dec 14 FIREWOOD yes it is GREEN Buyer beware (Ks. Mo.) pic farm & garden - by owner

WTF?
I was bored cuz its snowing here...So I thought I would email the guy/gal...this is what I sent:

Sir or Ma'am,

Just out of curiosity, did the seller tell you that the wood was seasoned or cured? I sell and burn A LOT of firewood and have burned/heated with firewood nearly my entire life. Seasoned wood doesnt burn longer, but it does burn much quicker, and usually hotter than wood that has been aged for a lesser period of time. It also ignites quicker/easier than green wood. For most types of wood, a two year cure period is optimum for max btu garner. I actually prefer to burn well seasoned wood mixed with wood that is FRESHLY cut in the winter, IE: no sap...depending on the type of wood? One would have to have an extensive background in firewood and burning to be able to know what good combinations and ratios are. I do this because certain green wood burns well when mixed with certain seasoned wood, thus giving you a longer burn time and a slower consumption rate of wood overall. For example, some two year old hedge mixes nicely with some green locust or hickory. Most people cant even burn this combo unless their wood burning device is rated for this level of heat and the amount of sparking that occurs...definitely not a fire place set-up for example. Your add implies that someone sold you wood under the assumption or pretense that it was seasoned but in fact it was green? Were you not there when it was delivered to inspect it? Because you surely didn't pick it up yourself and handle it and not know it was green? Non-seasoned wood looks and feels much different than it's opposite. It's usually both darker and lighter. I'm not trying to insult you, just to understand the situation because your add piqued my curiosity. If people are going to burn wood they should have a good understanding of what kind they are burning, how it burns at different cure levels, how it burns with other types of wood, etc. And they should also inspect their flues/chimneys routinely...more often if they are burning green or less cured wood because of creosote accumulation. From what I have seen on Craig's List regarding wood for sale in the KC area, it does look as if someone could be taken advantage of easily if they weren't an experienced consumer in this arena. A good source for information regarding anything on this topic is arboristsite.com. Lots of good threads there,...or, I would be more than happy to help you as well if you have questions. If you could find some seasoned wood to mix with what you've got, you would probably get some acceptable results. Or, find some SUPER CHEAP dry elm to mix with it? Take care and I hope you get this worked out.

Respectfully,

Army Guy

A "Shrink" would probably offer you some meds for your efforts.

I offer some quiet applause for your giving a flip and taking the time to try helping.

Latest posts

Back