Crane accident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to see WTF the pick was.:dizzy:

ditto. 135 ton even with full reach? I've worked with up to a 200 ton, doing trees, and a 350 lifting rooftop A/C units, and these guys F----ed up royally.

gotta be the swing factor, and a climber who , unfortunately, didn't know enough.

and I bet they didn't have radios.

WOW how much stick would that crane have? And what could it lift at 45 degrees?

Not to sure on a 130 ton? Looks like a demag 395 to me. If so its a 150t crane, looks exactly same as the one in the image. Now to answer your questions stick would be 193' or 253' with jib. Full stick at 45 about 6200lbs. only about 135 feet way from turret, with jib at 45 would be 2400lbs at 177' from turret. Keep in mind that would be for a 150t crane, If I had to bet on it I would say that its a 150 maybe short a strand on the block. Maybe thay forgot to add there block weight or to windy?:confused: No telling, there was a tree company doing a removal at a friends house when I was younger and the operator set the rigger down on the septic tank, Soon as he got the load he busted through and crushed their garage. It was awsome, the operator pee'd on himself. From then out I just wanted a crane for myself.

Here's a post from another forum from someone that was there.

Saw the crane in person as we live only about 3 miles from where it happened. Had to do a double take when we passed it, alot of wheels sticking in the air. Awesome sight. I looked at the trees a couple years ago, seems I mentioned do it in the winter, no boats, harbor is froze.
Anyway my neighbor's son-in-law took some of the surronding limbs off so they could get 2 more cranes in to lower it. One on the boom and one in the front. When they got it on the ground they put a dozer blade on it to keep it from tipping again. He said the truck started right up and the boom reeled in no problem. From the way he understood it the crane belonged to a relative and is used to set mobile homes up with. I asked if it was too big a piece they were picking he said no, thought the cut wasn,t all the way through and boom was extended a ways. He took some digital pictures said he might pass on. Got the info from my neighbor, he was there most of the time so I'm assuming its relatively accurate.

Not to sure on a 130 ton? Looks like a demag 395 to me. If so its a 150t crane, looks exactly same as the one in the image. Now to answer your questions stick would be 193' or 253' with jib. Full stick at 45 about 6200lbs. only about 135 feet way from turret, with jib at 45 would be 2400lbs at 177' from turret. Keep in mind that would be for a 150t crane, If I had to bet on it I would say that its a 150 maybe short a strand on the block. Maybe thay forgot to add there block weight or to windy?:confused: No telling, there was a tree company doing a removal at a friends house when I was younger and the operator set the rigger down on the septic tank, Soon as he got the load he busted through and crushed their garage. It was awsome, the operator pee'd on himself. From then out I just wanted a crane for myself.

Thanks for the info? It would be cool if they invented a crane with a kinda sliding counter weight like a tractor pull trailer. The more it goes out the more you can lift. Well maybe not. I just woke up soo.

Thanks for the info? It would be cool if they invented a crane with a kinda sliding counter weight like a tractor pull trailer. The more it goes out the more you can lift. Well maybe not. I just woke up soo.
Grove used to have sliding counter weights on mobile cranes, but after some crushing deaths & forgetful operators that ended.

Some of the foreign made hyd cranes can lift more at greater distance by reconfigureing the extended boom. I think grove had that feature on some RT cranes like the 55 ton

I have been on cranes that if boom was fully extended they would flip without a load.

I have been on a new Manitowoc 777 that would flip if you boom down over the side of the tracks, only boom down over the front of the tracks.

Others you could lift more from the side but flip if you swung over the front.

Figure all of your loads & go only with the cab load chart on each machine.

Never max a crane out, leave youself at least a 25 % safty factor.

I have been forced to retire for 8 years now, from bad knees & shoulders.

There is so much I have forgotten, but after a life-time of crane work I still have bad deams fairly often.

You youngsters that aspire to be operators can have all of my blessings & all of my bad dreams of the unknown factors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back