Crane slings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crane work is best done with chains, the crane op will have his which are tested and tagged. If you need to use a sling you are better off also using his, which will be rated, inspected, tested and tagged also. Any good crane op will have a slection of slings available, but again, chains are the way to go.

Can anyone recommend some slings for crane work?
And what length?

I have been looking at 19mm tenex slings from Samson , sold at sherrill.

19mm Twin Carrier Tenex by Samson, per foot | SherrillTree.com

That should give me a wll of little over 2 metric tons.

Thanks a lot :)

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Crane-Sling-Combo-by-SherrillTree#.U0FKYye9KSM
Those aren't bad, I just got the above this week, should be perfect for balancing. I was going to get some made up by someone else but was less $ to get them as a set from Sherrill.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crane work is best done with chains, the crane op will have his which are tested and tagged. If you need to use a sling you are better off also using his, which will be rated, inspected, tested and tagged also. Any good crane op will have a slection of slings available, but again, chains are the way to go.
Chains have there place but with tree work a main sling and spider legs are the better way to go. Chains have a possibility to slip and, some stable braid and tenex are higher rated then chains, and are easier to work with when balancing.

I always use certified chains and round slings owned by the crane company. The problem is that they are a pain in the behind to balance awkward smaller pics. Large picks are easier to balance with two chains. Smaller awkward picks can need three or more attachment points perfectly adjusted, which is hard with chains. In my opinion :)

NO body uses chains in the United States for tree crane work. Hard to handle, heavy, and if you have a small fault in one little link....well let's say things get ugly. Canvas chokers are predominantly used and when I need extra bite I use steel non chain chokers. Quite often I just hang a double braid lanyard of 3/4 inch or smaller as applicable and just timber hitch it or r. bowline it.

chains are punishment for the climber. round slings work excellently. are durable and easy for climber to handle. used with a shackle they last a long time. cable chokers are a second choice just because they can be a little harder to handle, but they work well.

I would look for some Samson stable braid 1" or or larger about 50' and splice some eyes into it. Then make some spider leg out of 3/4 tenex. They sell a premade one from sherrill but you could make one for cheaper

I would look for some Samson stable braid 1" or or larger about 50' and splice some eyes into it. Then make some spider leg out of 3/4 tenex. They sell a premade one from sherrill but you could make one for cheaper

spider legs are just a new term and sold for profit. a downgraded 1/2 inch rigging line or even climbing line will serve the purpose as long as the main hook up is up to snuff. they are for stabilizing.

If someone sent me up a chain if throw it at them .... Cable or sling , I'm. Not about to have my teeth knocked out trying to toss a chain around a 40" trunk chunk !

even with cable ....how many times ya been slapped upside with a bent steel cable sling or gashed by a hanging strand?

the nylon canvas ones I buy are cheap but high quality and will choke at 5,000 lbs static. they are so easy to handle and esp. for double balancing chokes. I do so much crane work with my own and sometimes subs that at about $45. ea. for a 12 footer (6,8,10,12,14 in the box) I just use them for half a year and toss them or downgrade them pulling trucks out of the mud and the like. If I need heavier I just pull out steel.

NO body uses chains in the United States for tree crane work. Hard to handle, heavy, and if you have a small fault in one little link....well let's say things get ugly. Canvas chokers are predominantly used and when I need extra bite I use steel non chain chokers. Quite often I just hang a double braid lanyard of 3/4 inch or smaller as applicable and just timber hitch it or r. bowline it.

ps. no worries here about the op slapping you in the noodle with this technique (he might hit you and you don't even know it) and also no need to take the spliced end off the headache ball or even have the ball any near you. much faster process.

Chains? With what type of attachment? I use round slings and I have them in various lengths.

I have seen guys use logging type chokers and chains but I am leary about them coming undo if weight is ever taken off of them....but I guess there is no wrong way as long as you know what you are working with.

I bought a couple round slings in various lengths, and 2 longer flat slings for big trunk sections

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Great with a lot of input and some debate :)
The reason I always use chains is that they belong to the crane company and are certified annually. We use round slings (also the crane company's) as well.
For big stuff it works really well but multiple points for balancing is a pain in the behind.
I do not know how the rules are in the states and Australia , but how do you get your own tenex (and similar) slings certified and tagged? In Denmark lifting gear must be certified and tagged once a year.

Latest posts

Back