Crepe Myrtles for my area?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagull1220

Reaction score
Oh no, the Seagull is posting another question!

My previous post was about dying trees in my yard. If I have to replace them, I thought of the Crepe Myrtle. My region is So. Western Ohio... clay soil. The location of the plantings would get full sun. I found the Crepe Myrtle an attractive planting after being in the Carolinas recently. Do you think the selection could make it in my area? Winter temps range between 30 and -10 degrees. Summer temps are very much like the hot, humid south.

I don't know of any crape myrtle cultivars that would grow in your area, but you may want to check a local nursery to be sure.

Hi Seagull,

I don't know the specifics of crepe myrtles. But, they can stand cold weather just fine. In NC, we always have freezing temps in winter. And crepe myrtles grow very well here. Another good choice, though a bit larger, would be a dogwood tree.

Thanks, Chaingang

Chaingang:

Thanks for your reply. I did a search yesterday on Crepe Myrtles and came up with a promising site that sells them (6 for 59.00).

For anyone interested the link is http://www.lagerstroemia.com.

This outfit is in Gainsville, Fla. and shipping is included in the above price. They claim that they have been hybridizing and breeding (cold hardy) Crepe Myrtles for 25 years. They do offer the Tall Mellon Crepe Myrtle (cold hardy) tree which is what I want. They have been tested with great success in Pennsylvania.

I'm waiting for a return email from them as to my area and best time for planting.

A tree grown in Florida isn't going to be acclimated to Ohio winters. Just an example, Queen palms do fine here in Orlando usually. Many retailers buy their stock from huge growers in south Florida. Usually about 1/2 these Queen palms from south Florida die their 1st winter if we get a frost. If they make it the first 2 winters, they are usually ok.
The price is cheap enough that you can buy 6 and if 3 make it it's still not a bad deal. My recommendation is to look for locally grown stock. Even if the tree genus is cold hardy, these particular trees have never seen 20 degree weather. Your 2nd cousin who grew up in Arizona isn't acclimated to Ohio winters either! :D

Back