Crossed branches in Live Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesTX

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As you can see in the attached picture, my live oak (maybe 7-10 years old) has a few branches that have crossed. They are starting to deform each other.

Is this something that should be taken care of? What would happen if it is left this way?

Thanks.
James

IN many pruning articles the list of priorities will be:

dead
diseased
dieing
crossing

First two, no discussion, get rid of them. Dieing may be hard to determine. A good arbo will be able to compare the growth of a particular limb with the rest of the tree and what is "normal".

Over the years I've left more crossing limbs. If the only reason to remove the limb is that it's crossing, it would probably stay. But if it has bad structure, is touching the house, grows low and is a "hat catcher" that adds to the reason for removing. Sometimes the removal of a crossing limb will make an unsightly gap in the tree. If there are many crossing limbs it might mean taking out too much foliage. that weakens the tree.

Sometimes crossing limbs will actually graft together. This is more likely if the two limbs don't move in the wind. A few times I've subordinated the end to reduce the movement in hopes of getting the graft started.

There have been times when I've had to take out crossing limbs. After cutting them open to see what the decay looks like I haven't seen much decayed/discolored wood. There is a wound but rarely is there decay. I wish I knew what was happening physiologically but there is something different than a cut or broken wound where there is always decay.

Go lightly, you can always cut more but 3M hasn't finished up the research on their Cambium Glue yet. :)

Tom Dunlap said:
Over the years I've left more crossing limbs. ... Sometimes the removal of a crossing limb will make an unsightly gap in the tree. ... A few times I've subordinated the end to reduce the movement in hopes of getting the graft started.

There is a wound but rarely is there decay...Go lightly, you can always cut more
What a shocker, I agree (almost) completely with this guy again. :p I leave limbs with some cracks or disease when their removal would do more harm than good.

If you could post another picture, of the whole tree, we can advise on entire limb removal vs. shortening (subordinating, reduction). Obviously removal would have been the way to go 7-8 years ago, but now it may create a big hole in the crown that can never be filled.

In any case I might hold off on major pruning until late summer if at all possible.

The one in the center of the picture is well on the way to a good graft-leave it. Like Guy (treeseer) I would have cut it several years ago if I had been pruning the tree then-now it is best to leave the interesting branch structure alone.

I'll take another pic of the entire tree.

That would be interesting if the two limbs grew together. What will they do, just form a big knot?

Yup, like lovers in a liplock they will wrap,
and may someday exchange sap.

Their skin wrapped round each other's skin,
Writhing and moaning in the wind.

In their embrace there is no fiction,
A passion of dancin', and sensuous friction.

Callus caressing callus,
Delivering no malice.

Hey I gotta get back to work!

treeseer said:
Yup, like lovers in a liplock they will wrap,
and may someday exchange sap.

Their skin wrapped round each other's skin,
Writhing and moaning in the wind.

In their embrace there is no fiction,
A passion of dancin', and sensuous friction.

Callus caressing callus,
Delivering no malice.

Hey I gotta get back to work!

I need a cigarette.......

dead
diseased
damaged
crossing
rubbing

but, it aint in stone, sometimes you can leave stuff to see what happens, worst thing, you need to cut it someday in the future.

as a question to those who may know, what are some trees that are likely to self graft? I know beech is a good candidate, any others?

most people think the whole trees going to fall during some wind due to rubbing limbs,i bet theres been there fair share of T/D due to the rubbing/creaking

a_lopa said:
theres been there fair share of T/D due to the rubbing/creaking
Scary but true; folks getting freaked about the sound and going arborphobic.

Grafting happens with our common oaks maples etc., as with a diamond, all it takes is pressure and time.

its probably one thing that pisses you off as much as me guy,i tell people to put up with it.big deal theres a noise :dizzy:

Rubbers Retained

Here's a magnolia with a codom tearout wound (pic #1), decay is present and splitting a high risk. Other pics are of rubbing branches that I left for stability. I even thought of bracing the rubbers together with a bolt to add stability, and prompt grafting. What do you think?

treeseer - that's a lot more rubbing than on my tree. Mine are touching a lot closer to the base of the branch so I guess they're more stable and rub less. In any case, I'm pretty sure you're asking one of the other aborists their opinion and not mine (I'm a CPA)!

I have some full pictures of the trees I was asking about, but I need to figure out how to get them off of the camera (my wife's out of town).

treeseer said:
If you could post another picture, of the whole tree, we can advise on entire limb removal vs. shortening (subordinating, reduction). Obviously removal would have been the way to go 7-8 years ago, but now it may create a big hole in the crown that can never be filled.

In any case I might hold off on major pruning until late summer if at all possible.

Treeseer - here are some additional pictures. I wasn't sure exactly what I should take pics of, so I took a bunch (I have more). The tree doesn't seem to have any major issues (according to my untrained eye), but I am curious what type of things a professional sees when they look at a tree like this.

James

Latest posts

Back