Crossing into Connecticut with firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that firewood in NY can only be transported within a 50 mile radius of the point of harvest. From what I understood, NYS does not care if the stump is one mile into another state as long as it goes less than 49 miles into NY. Not sure if that is still the case though as NY likes to change rules.

@MechanicMatt @MustangMike

Not sure, CT might know...

How have you been Numa? How's the boys? My 12yo nephew was just telling me how he joined the wrestling team at his school. You still down the road?

Yeah, I wasn't sure on crossing the border so I skipped it, that and I live a LOT closer to the Pennsylvania border than the Connecticut border.

Paperwork and more paperwork,

To be legal there are forms you can download and procedures to follow on the CT DEEP website. That said if it's a small amount I sincerely doubt with the State's budget crisis there are resources to monitor. A log truck or trailer load may get attention, but most State Troopers have no clue on the transport regs, if stopped it would most likely be an DEEP officer that stumbles across the transporter by luck.

4 or 5 years ago DEEP set up a checkpoint in the Union, CT weigh station. The end result was they stopped all vehicles pulling a camping trailer and actually scored one family that had about 20 cu. ft. of wood for campfires, and one custom furniture maker carrying long pine slabs for custom tables and benches. He actually had the correct documentation so they stuck out on that one. I was able to read an email sent out to the DEEP Forestry employees. The operation was a high cost bust, the day of monitoring cost the state in the $10,000 range. Of course the results or lack of, was boasted as a successful endeavor, as CT showed its dedication to protecting the environment by showing the flag so to speak.

Can't say if this gives you anything you can use but take it for what it's worth.

Take Care

Back