Curved cuts even after grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Seems to me that every time I read about curved cuts the answer is always "teeth are uneven - take it to a grinder and it should even it out". I just got a grinder a couple of weeks ago but haven't been totally impressed by it so I borrowed my dad's yesterday. Sharpened one chain on his, and one chain on mine and tried them out today.

The one I sharpened on my grinder is cutting curved pretty substantially, but the one I sharpened on his cuts nice and straight. I take that to mean it's not an issue with the bar but with the chain. I know a grinder doesn't mean mistakes can't be made, but clearly something is going on with the one cutting curved. Considering it was ground and no changes aside from reversing the angle was made between the sides, what might I need to look for here?

Photo: Cuts on the left and right are with the chain I sharpened on my dad's grinder. The three in the middle are mine. The angle of the photo may be misleading, but both of the end cuts are completely straight.

Attachments

• 59192866_2322523787864672_4595515105780695040_n.jpg
    59192866_2322523787864672_4595515105780695040_n.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 19
Seems to me that every time I read about curved cuts the answer is always "teeth are uneven - take it to a grinder and it should even it out". I just got a grinder a couple of weeks ago but haven't been totally impressed by it so I borrowed my dad's yesterday. Sharpened one chain on his, and one chain on mine and tried them out today.

The one I sharpened on my grinder is cutting curved pretty substantially, but the one I sharpened on his cuts nice and straight. I take that to mean it's not an issue with the bar but with the chain. I know a grinder doesn't mean mistakes can't be made, but clearly something is going on with the one cutting curved. Considering it was ground and no changes aside from reversing the angle was made between the sides, what might I need to look for here?

Photo: Cuts on the left and right are with the chain I sharpened on my dad's grinder. The three in the middle are mine. The angle of the photo may be misleading, but both of the end cuts are completely straight.
Has your bar been dressed and rails are flat. Chain flat or rocking on bar?

It has not been, which was my first thought, but then when the second chain worked fine in it I assumed that meant it had to be the chain.

When I first read the first post, I thought you were using two different saws. Now I see you are using two chains on the same saw. I agree - looks like a chain issue. I would reverse what you did - sharpen the "good" chain on your grinder and the "Bad" chain on your fathers grinder. If the good chain now cuts bad and the bad chain now cuts good, problem is in the grinder. If the bad chain still cuts bad, it's the chain. Is the chain gauge correct for the bar? Maybe the bottoms of the drivers are worn unevenly?

Make sure the grinder is working the chain evenly. Measure the teeth with calipers to see if they are the same length both ways.

I'd also measure the depth gauges to see if they are the same.

And like was posted above, certainly clean up the bar. If one chain is doing well, it is probably not the bar, but you should do that anyhow!

Back