Custom 7900 spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbmopar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I have never been a fan of the batwing spikes on the dolmars, so I made up a set that I think will work a quite a bit better. They look big, but they don't use up any more bar length the the factory ones. Tell me what you think.
What do you have to do to get pictures to show up on top of each other instead of like this? This is my first try at pics.

Randy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have never been a fan of the batwing spikes on the dolmars, so I made up a set that I think will work a quite a bit better. They look big, but they don't use up any more bar length the the factory ones. Tell me what you think.
What do you have to do to get pictures to show up on top of each other instead of like this? This is my first try at pics.

Randy.

good try at pics. i like the spikes

I like them.

The bottom one is the one that really needs changing IMO.

I only did a drawing a few nights back with the bottom spike in virtually the same spot as you've made yours as (top half the same as stock)
I've found it too short at times to pivot the bar properly on large trunks when scarfing or doing a back cut.

Last edited:
Those look bad A$$. When you perfect them and figure out how much you want for a set let me know cause I'll buy some.

Are they atleast as thick as the original ones? Maybe even a tad thinker would be good.

Thanks guys. tdi, I had the same problem as you with the stock spikes. I could have left the top half alone, but personally I think they look goofy. So just a cosmetic thing there. Wildman, I made these by hand with grinders and what not, so a little time consuming for resale. I need to find someone with a plasma table or something of the like. I made them out of an old 10" table saw blade that seems to be spring steel. The steel will break before it will bend, so we will see if they are too brittle.

Thanks guys. tdi, I had the same problem as you with the stock spikes. I could have left the top half alone, but personally I think they look goofy. So just a cosmetic thing there. Wildman, I made these by hand with grinders and what not, so a little time consuming for resale. I need to find someone with a plasma table or something of the like. I made them out of an old 10" table saw blade that seems to be spring steel. The steel will break before it will bend, so we will see if they are too brittle.

I know my local machine shop has a CNC machine..What about calling around and going that route?

Also what size and brand bar is that on there. It's a nice setup you got there

The bar is an nos 24" general bar that I picked up on ebay a while back. It has the hardest rails I have ever seen, but uses a strange Oregon tip that have not been able to find. I will have to look into having someone cut a few sets for me. I need three more sets just for my own saws. I am definitely going to look into putting a roller catcher on it.

Nice work, very nice. I was actually looking at my 7900 this afternoon studying on a better design than the OEM ones, and I think you have it. If you end up selling any I'll sure buy a set.

That's entirely possible. But there is a lot less productive ways to spend it.

Yep. You could make a mule of yourself on AS. :greenchainsaw:

Those dawgs look really nice.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back