Cut Another Load Of Wood Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd give you a look at my "storm damaged" hard maple tree's I'm cutting out,

standard.jpg

Some of them will have decent logs in them that will go to my BSM, and some won't,

standard.jpg

Anyway, with these warm temps, we decided to NOT take a heavy tractor to the woods and make a lot of ruts, instead we took something lighter and picked up wood we already had cut,

standard.jpg

Even though we were dressed warm, it really was a nice day in the woods today!

SR

It was mostly sunny and 60* today, so me and my friend, went out to my woodlot. I'm still clearing out storm damaged tree's, so firewood was todays project!

We gave the Husky 55 a pretty good work out, cutting a pretty good load of mostly hard maple,

standard.jpg

And once we had the wagon heaped up,

standard.jpg

We headed home,

standard.jpg

and as it was still early in the day, we started splitting the load,

standard.jpg

While we was out there, we did manage to do some shooting too... SO, over all it was a pretty nice day!

SR

My helper had to leave on Sat. before we got all of the load split and as by then, I was done for the day! SO, on Monday my wife and me, finished splitting what was left in the wagon...

Here's a pict. I took of the pile of splits, from that load,

standard.jpg

I think I have about one more wagon load of "firewood logs" left out by my woodlot, so i'll probably get to those pretty soon too...

SR

And most of it was hard maple. I raised the firewood logs over my wagon with the tractor and my helper cut them into firewood lengths. We started out sawing with my 3/8 chain/16" bar Husky 55, but when we got to the BIG logs, we switched to my 20" bar Jonsered 2260.

When my helper was into the "first" cut with the 2260, he stopped, looked at me and said WOW... lol

standard.jpg

and what a GREAT saw the 2260 is, powering right through these 24" maple blocks!

standard.jpg

and soon we had a wagon load,

standard.jpg

Once home, one of the blocks got away from us, so out came the 2260 to rip it, as it was waaaaay two heavy for even two of us to pick up whole,

standard.jpg

Then it was back to rolling them over a couple boards, from the wagon to the splitter beam, VERY easy to do... Especially with a little extra help from my wife!

standard.jpg

The big blocks averaged four trips through the splitters 4-way, and they were down to "just the right size" for my wood furnace...

It was another very NICE, sunny day here today, in the 50's, so it was GREAT to get out to the woods!

Hope you enjoy the picts...

SR
Love the pencil heart in the rock maple, all sapwood! Good indication it was never tapped.

Back