Cut locust sends shoot in perfect location, thorns or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had a sizable Shademaster Honey Locust but it was too close to my Pin Oak so I cut it. We were thinking of what to plant about 30ft further away of the oak and we noticed a locust shoot coming up. There are no other locusts near there so I'm sure it's coming up from a root. Here is the question; Will this shoot grow to be a thorn less Shademaster or will it be some wild thorny version? Thanks for your input!

I had a sizable Shademaster Honey Locust but it was too close to my Pin Oak so I cut it. We were thinking of what to plant about 30ft further away of the oak and we noticed a locust shoot coming up. There are no other locusts near there so I'm sure it's coming up from a root. Here is the question; Will this shoot grow to be a thorn less Shademaster or will it be some wild thorny version? Thanks for your input!

My guess is that it will be thornless...however: I planted a row of shademasters and about 20 years later one of them suddenly put out thorns. I cut it the same day.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back