cutter profile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bump_r

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Remember those ant farms that were sooo popular way back? Where a colony of ants was presented in pretty much a two-dimensional display? Where you could see what was previously hidden? Would it not be the coolest thing ever to have his guy

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/high_speed_video/index.html#Tools_Machinery_Appliances

do something similar with a saw chain engaging a sample of wood? I think it'd be great to see the dynamics of the severed wood as it's peeled from the base and is curled and eventually discharged. It may prove interesting in optimizing chain efficiency. I keep thinking, probably wrongly, that on a square-filed chain, the chip would be cut from the base, only to dead-head against the "L" at the bottom of the cutter. I'd like to see if that is the case, and if filing a radius therein would help curling and thus discharge. At the very least it would tell the tale of true chain/chip dynamics and dispell myths and conjecture.

Either way, have fun poking around at some of the videos on that site.

bump_r said:
do something similar with a saw chain engaging a sample of wood? I think it'd be great to see the dynamics of the severed wood as it's peeled from the base and is curled and eventually discharged. It may prove interesting in optimizing chain efficiency. I keep thinking, probably wrongly, that on a square-filed chain, the chip would be cut from the base, only to dead-head against the "L" at the bottom of the cutter. I'd like to see if that is the case, and if filing a radius therein would help curling and thus discharge. At the very least it would tell the tale of true chain/chip dynamics and dispell myths and conjecture.

Either way, have fun poking around at some of the videos on that site.

E-mail the guy and ask him to did it, he has the equipment I am sure if he has access to metal cutting mills a chainsaw is not to exotic, it would be cool to see.

A common woodturning instruction technique for teaching how a gouge cuts is to run a wood lathe in very slow motion. The shaving is pretty clear as it is severed by the tool and curls away from the spinning piece of wood.

Not all the dynamics are the same of course, but if a chainsaw cutter could be mounted on a rigid holder and then applied to the slow moving wood on the lathe, some of cutting action might be revealed.

In other words, you can see what is happening because the cutter is not moving (the wood is).

Just a thought.

Back