Cuttin Elm Today - Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I planned to cut wood yesterday and go fishing today, but as plans go more often than not, that changed. I worked some OT yesterday morning when it was nice, and by the time I got home it was windy and miserable out, so I called it a couch afternoon.

Today, I woke up and felt that urge to burn some saw gas. It was drizzling a little, and around freezing, but I decided to go out anyway. I didn't take much for pics of the first load, haven't gotten a new camera yet, and my phone was plugged in charging. I cut half a dozen little elms to fill the back of the 1/2 ton, and did have to get the camera out for this, I did the "triple tip" on a 8" elm and two smaller saplings that were tangled in tight with it. The small partially cut up one on the right was mostly punky dead elm, and the other was a small maple, I'd have liked to leave it, but it would have come down with the elm eventually. I zipped the dead one clean off, notched and back cut the maple, and did the same with the elm. It looked cool watching em all hit the ground together.

attachment.php

By the time I got that load loaded, I was a little wet, and getting cold, but I said I'd get a shot of both trucks loaded in the hauler pics thread, so I went home, swapped trucks, and headed back out.

I picked on a bigger elm this time, about 16". There was a ton of brush in the tops. Normally I let it lay, but I had to tip it onto my trail, so I decided a wet cold day like today needed a bonfire.

Here's the tree, from the top, even Zogger would say there's a lot of brush there :D

attachment.php

Bonfire time:

attachment.php

All blocked up and brush converted to much enjoyed warmth:

attachment.php

Two black beaters full of wood, splitter in the background:

attachment.php

All in all, a pretty good day, and my gloves and jacket are drying by the stove. I didn't hear from my buddies out on the lake, so the fish couldn't have been biting very well anyway. I've got some splitting to do now, really not a whole lot, maybe 30-40 blocks between the two loads need splitting. Unloading and stacking will take more time than actual splitting. It will be some good before work busy work for me this week, and we'll hit it again next weekend.

Thanks for the pics Earl. Al least you had a chance to get out and cut. I was down in Chicago all weekend,visiting some of my family and then had to go to a party at frinds house. I did get my new chain grinder when I was down thear. I will make a thread on this when I get it set up this week. Good productive Sunday you had .

Beefie

Just cause we're all pyros here, here's another shot of the brush pile after it had burned down quite a bit:

attachment.php

Jason, looking forward to the grinder pics. I need to go fire mine up now, I hit some crap with the 73 stumping today and killed a chain, and still have a couple chains hanging on the wall that need done.

Looks like you made a nice day out of a dreary one!

That's what we have been getting here, just a near constant drizzle, albeit not cold at all, just muddy. I have just been walking in and burning one tank at a time, then walking back out. Ain't hauled a stick back yet, proly won't until...I don't know. This is one of the better mud seasons since I have been here... Just moving big bales with the tractor is an adventure in left/right brake steering.

It is kinda fun to get paid to go bogging though.....

As to the brush, hey, you were getting warm with it! Looks like it burned good for being standing dead or near dead.

Zog, speaking of tank of gas, that's what went through the PS-420 to make the load in the first truck (The one on the right). 5 or 6? little trees, nothing over 10" or so, got between 1/3 and 1/2 cord on there on a pint of gas. Pretty economical little saw.

The elm will for the most part burn right now if I needed it to. Some of the base chunks have some moisture, but the tops are bone dry. When the bark's falling off like that, they're ready. There were a couple maple sticks in there that hissed like a cat with a stepped on tail though.

Way to Go!! Nice Elm for sure. Any day in the woods is a good day. Thanks for the pics.

Zog, speaking of tank of gas, that's what went through the PS-420 to make the load in the first truck (The one on the right). 5 or 6? little trees, nothing over 10" or so, got between 1/3 and 1/2 cord on there on a pint of gas. Pretty economical little saw.

The elm will for the most part burn right now if I needed it to. Some of the base chunks have some moisture, but the tops are bone dry. When the bark's falling off like that, they're ready. There were a couple maple sticks in there that hissed like a cat with a stepped on tail though.

If'n you like Morel's, you may want to see if those way too dead Elm have eny brothers that are just startin to die. Course if you like Morel's, you already know that. :D

Back