cutting co-dominate stems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrictrimmer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been cutting for sometime now and I haven't ran into this situation yet until now. I have a white oak that forks about 5-6 feet up and both leads are approximately 25 inches. What is the best way to cut them safely. I thought about throwing a buckstrap around it and spiking up there, but then I have no place to go should something go horriably wrong. Any suggestions would be great. I also have an enormous 32 inch whiteoak that is leaning over the neighbors property and I feel I can't pull that monster. Is there any other way without climbing and stripping it down to a snag. Sorry I don't have any pics.

I have been cutting for sometime now and I haven't ran into this situation yet until now. I have a white oak that forks about 5-6 feet up and both leads are approximately 25 inches. What is the best way to cut them safely. I thought about throwing a buckstrap around it and spiking up there, but then I have no place to go should something go horriably wrong. Any suggestions would be great. I also have an enormous 32 inch whiteoak that is leaning over the neighbors property and I feel I can't pull that monster. Is there any other way without climbing and stripping it down to a snag. Sorry I don't have any pics.

Try asking this in the HomeOwner's thread or maybe Arborist 101. You'll probably get all the information you need, sixty five conflicting opinions, and some real good arguments amongst the professionals.

Cherry-pick the advice to suit your needs.

Try asking this in the HomeOwner's thread or maybe Arborist 101. You'll probably get all the information you need, sixty five conflicting opinions, and some real good arguments amongst the professionals.

Cherry-pick the advice to suit your needs.

I was confused here, but it must be 2dogs that says dynamite is the answer to any problem.

basically you have to determine whether you can drop them as one tree or two. How far down below the seperation does the included bark go. Do you think they will hold as a pair or will one break off the hinge and they fall seperately. I run into this fairly often. I usually drop them seperately but it depends on the tree, and what the consequences might be if I fall them together and one breaks off. On a whiteoak, my guess is it'll old as a a single tree. You can rip down between the trunks to make two stems out of it. Also you can cut one side as a single and when it won't fall you can rip down between them to release it. (guaranteed to dull your chain- trapped dirt). Cutting them together as a single is an all or nothing approach, but still maybe your best option. Clear as dirt?

If falling them together as a single, be very aware of your escape route in relation to where the one that might break off the hinge will go instead.
So what if its leaning over the neighbor's property, drop it and winch the whole ####er back on your side.

Pictures? Be safe.

I ran in to the same problem last year. I will try to post a video of what I did.

Ray

Exactly like hammer said. One or two. As one it may split and in my experience will scare the living #### out of you and make you run like a little girl.

I had one split while nearing the finish of my back cut, one side took my saw with it. Brand new 36" ES bar bent like a banana as I watched in horror. Luckily it spit the saw back at me and landed square on the end of the handle (instead of taking it for the rest of the ride). I thought for sure the bar was bent and handle was toast. Amazingly nothing was damaged.

It depends on the tree. Assess it well. Also like hammer said ripping down the middle will almost always dull the hell out of your chain.

Also is the big oak going to wreck anything if it does fall on their property? If not take it down and drag it back to your side.

I try to rip down the edge of one of the stems instead of right down the middle, maybe it helps a little but you're still going to get a dull chain.

back at it tomorrow.

i would not fell them as 1. Very bad things can happen. I have used spring boards in cases like this. but if you are not confident in them then don't. It may be in your best intrest to get some one who has delt with this to help you.

Because I also climb, I thought about seeing if there is a tree close by that I could tie into to cut them where the split, this would allow me to swing out of the way in case something would go terriblely wrong. The one that is leaning hard definitly will tear the neighbors yard trees to heck and back, I may either leave it or climb and strip the top out. Definitly more work than its worth. Thanks for all the input!

Because I also climb, I thought about seeing if there is a tree close by that I could tie into to cut them where the split, this would allow me to swing out of the way in case something would go terriblely wrong. The one that is leaning hard definitly will tear the neighbors yard trees to heck and back, I may either leave it or climb and strip the top out. Definitly more work than its worth. Thanks for all the input!

sometimes more work is better that dangerous work. Climbing would work to. I don't climb so i do not know the process. but if the top and limbs were gone that would make for a easier and safer fall.

Back