Cutting Lightning Struck Trees (Myths and Facts)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianmorgan17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in an area that is swamped with folk lore and such. I have the opportunity to cut a larg red oak that was struck by lightning and has since died.
I've had several locals tell be that lightning struck trees are chain killers. There is something that happens when it's struck that turns the wood to iron or something.
Is there anything to concider when cutting these trees?

Brian

I always figured it dulled chains quicker because was dead and dried out somewhat. I've heard the wood will turn white if hit by lightning so it not good to mill.

You have to watch out for the usual risks from cutting down a dead tree and I can assure you that even if you see sparks fly, it's just from a good hardwood.

The one's I have been around were sometimes splintered from top to bottom, making them a little unpredictable to take down. I had one that would split into thirds by itself as you cut because of a lightning strike. I don't remember it sawing any differently than any other tree (as far as chain life).

I acquired a lightning struck tree [big fat red oak] and the biggest problem I had with it was cutting one of the logs that had a hole in it and finding a raccoon carcass; seemingly fried by the lightning hit. Downright nasty piece of log.

I like "The Natural" link there.

I didn't think there could be much to it but,

I hadn't been married long and was in the shower when a strom came through. My wife told me to get out of the shower cause lightning can come in on the pipes.
Well, I let her know that shes was just a country bumpkin, when lightning hit and fried me while the words were still in my mouth.
I'll not forget that one.

Brian

There is some truth to it.

I don't know the science behind it but will tell you my experience.

Cut down a lightning struck red oak. Didn't seem real hard on the chain, but was nearly impossible to split by hand. It was so hard that it would have been tough to drive a nail into.

Let us know what happens with yours.

...I've had several locals tell be that lightning struck trees are chain killers. There is something that happens when it's struck that turns the wood to iron or something...

i call BS. unless its petrified its still wood. i'd take it down in a heartbeat. still gotta be cautious cause of what the other's have pointed out.

dude, you need to logon more often.

I like "The Natural" link there.

I didn't think there could be much to it but,

I hadn't been married long and was in the shower when a strom came through. My wife told me to get out of the shower cause lightning can come in on the pipes.
Well, I let her know that shes was just a country bumpkin, when lightning hit and fried me while the words were still in my mouth.
I'll not forget that one.

Brian

Best laugh of the day so far :hmm3grin2orange:

Never had a problem cutting the wood from one but cutting them down can be pretty dangerous sometimes as they can be cracked all the way through and top to bottom. This one was a bit sketchy, luckily we enough room to drop it in the yard after taking a couple branches off. View attachment 304774View attachment 304775

Might be some truth to it. We have removed several lightning hit trees and the wood does seem to be a whole lot harder than a normal tree. Firewood from them also don’t seem to season as well. Could also just be a pigment of my imagination.

I was told by an old timer that lightning struck trees don,t burn very well???????

Yep, be careful. I took down a monster White Pine a couple years ago, for a friend. Started climbing it, stripping limbs of as I went up. Got up about 60 feet and the wind gusted up a little. The trunk twisted and I could see day light through it in 3 or 4 places. Stuck a "bull line" in it and tied it off to the truck, dropped it across the front yard. When I cut up the log it just fell into pieces, looked like it was split. My biggest worry was getting rid of the wood. We put a free wood sign up and the next morning it was gone. As some one else said, wood is wood. This was big enough I had to use my 36 inch bar to cut it up, but it was Pine and cut easy. Keep the saw out of the dirt, and make firewood, Joe.

I cut a big old Ash the other day that was stuck by lighting.
If the tree has a split down the trunk it will collect dirt and the dirt will dull the chain.

there's your answer, nd treehugger nailed it.

Its not the wood, but the dirt. sand. muck. etc which collects in the wounds and dulls up the chain.

turns the wood to iron huh? i would take a trip to arkansas just to see that tree!

When I lived in South Dakota (Black Hills), I had several guys tell me that lightning struck trees did not burn well. I never had the chance to test this , but cant understand the reason or science behind this. Anyone else ever hear of this?

Ron

When I lived in South Dakota (Black Hills), I had several guys tell me that lightning struck trees did not burn well. I never had the chance to test this , but cant understand the reason or science behind this. Anyone else ever hear of this?

Ron

I have been burning almost daily (and about to go out light it off again) lightning struck red oak small branch wood. I use that to get green privet going from around the yard, trims. The lightning struck fallen branches are ready to rock as they fall from the tree. Stacking the one inch and larger stuff, but I burned a few whole, up to six inch diameter, just to check them out.

I would say the opposite, lightning struck is better than normal wood! The moisture done got electrolyzed right out of it!

A lot of tarded old timers are just full of it,. I call it hoop snake junk science. Flat earthers. Repeat some drivel they heard from some other tard decades agom, but because they are old guys it is supposed to be gospel and pure science. Nuts.

Sometimes they are right, a lot of times, wrong. Human beings, some speak from experience, others speak from gossip.

Here's one, you can't burn pine inside, you will burn your house down, creosote! One stick, OMG!!!!

Tell them other areas of the planet, all they can get is pine, and they don't have any trouble..they stare at you.....deer in the headlights stare..they want to argue, but never thought about it that way..but..but..granpappy told them so!!

ya, and granpappy hit the shine jug hard all the time, too...

Same people will burn oak cut late spring and not even split until like november, right when they need it small enough to stuff in the stove. That's called "seasoned" around here.

Nuts.

The only old guy junk I have to pass on as some sort of alleged wisdom is sweet talk wimminks and animals, and cuss machinery.

But sometimes you need it backwards from that...ya never know..

And most of the time, it is better to just shut up, and use facial expressions and body language.

Except on the net.....

Back