Cutting some felled trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another note, in the pic with my truck, the land on the left is my buddies and the land on the right is where the trees are.
Here is a pic of his side, you can see the pond in one of the pics.
g1U1c2h.jpg

This was how yesterdays load stacked up. today's was about the same. I ran out of steam, I had intended to get two loads out today but only did one. My half pallets are 24" deep, 4' wide and between 32" and 35" tall. I figure it takes 6 of them to make a cord.
rSFCTCk.jpg

A buddy of mine has an adjoining landowner that had a bunch of trees felled for wildlife habitat. he told my buddy that he could cut up any of them. There are a few acres of them. My buddy has a nice older Ford 4x4 tractor with a nice Igland winch. I have never worked with a logging winch before. Well let me tell you, it is fantastic. We went up for a couple hours on Saturday and then again On Monday. I am so out of shape it isn't even funny! The road going up is too icy to even think about getting my truck, splitter and dump trailer up there so we are just piling them up next to the road.
I'll update when I can get the truck and equipment up there to process it.
mYsNocX.jpg

4q3q2J6.jpg

4gmRZxi.jpg

xn3RIGG.jpg
Nice.
I see what looks like some Ash, Maple and Oak down there.
Good score.

View attachment 562420 View attachment 562421
Started the day on a very large red maple and ended cleaning up an ash.
Temps dropped below freezing again this weekend, maybe the last one to get the tractor in the bush.
Bowmanville is not that far from me and the temps last night were quite cool at -19.5C here in Madoc.
Had the pellet stove cranked up and a wood stove fire going downstairs too.
I will be out blocking and splitting some Ash logs later today, but for now a nice hot cup of coffee, some breakfast and then cutting our dog and cats nails.
IMG_20160604_131523.jpg 1 (9).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20160429_152609338_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160429_152609338_HDR.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 23
Bowmanville is not that far from me and the temps last night were quite cool at -19.5C here in Madoc.
Had the pellet stove cranked up and a wood stove fire going downstairs too.
I will be out blocking and splitting some Ash logs later today, but for now a nice hot cup of coffee, some breakfast and then cutting our dog and cats nails.
View attachment 562468 View attachment 562469
Good looking family.

Nail trimming is always interesting. Our old dog used to moan like he was being torn apart when we held him down to cut his nails lol.

On the dog nail trimming, our dog will just lay on her side waiting for you to do them. The wife taught her that.

Woodfarmer, nice looking pile, for me the hardest part is the cutting, I don't mind the splitting and stacking.

Well my son had today off so I took advantage of the extra help. We got three truckloads cut and split and home today. We didn't start too early and stopped for a sandwich for lunch. Turned out to be a nice day, warmed up to around 40. I probably have a good truckload left up there but it looks like rain for the next two days, we'll see.

Well I borrowed my BIL's tractor and went back at it Monday, I got a couple of nice piles dragged out (no pics yet)
Today I went back and decided to drag out 4 more trees, one very large Oak, a very large Maple and a couple of long straight Ash.
Well I ended up getting the tractor stuck, large Maple was choked too far back and got up under the draw bar, tires spun in the clay mud so I came home and got my Jeep with my wireless remote controlled winch and winched it out (worked great) . Then when I was stacking the Maple on the pile the key (I think) sheared and the pump for the loader stopped working!
Of course every nut and bolt are different on the damn thing. I have a fair amount of tools in my Jeep and was able to get the guard off but not the pump. I think I know what I need to take back with me to get the pump off and maybe a third hand.
I'll get some pics before I start cutting it up. I still am amazed at how much is still left in there.

Update: I got the pump off the tractor and it turns out id did not shear a key, the shaft broke ! The shaft is supposed to be a left handed thread into an adapter. Took the tractor apart and slid the front axle beam forward hoping I could get a pipe wrench on the shaft and brake it free, no dice, whoever added the loader welded the shaft to the pulley adapter! Always something.
Anyway, more pics. Me and my son are going back tomorrow morning and split up a couple of loads.
Or3fYvV.jpg

ZYJORL2.jpg

opaD3UY.jpg

Latest posts

Back