cylinder scoring--how much is too much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I used the muratic acid and there are a few scratches that I can feel with my fingernail, but they don't catch on them. They are underneath the exhaust port and are not above the port.

It is on a Jonsered 920 cylinder. I have read that 80% of the power comes from close to the top of the stroke(I hope I read right). So, if the scratches are down low, can I use this cylinder?

I plan to hone it. Will that smooth any of those scratches out? Basically, I am wondering how much imperfection before you go on the hunt for another one.

I am also doing a 451 and I only have scoring below the exhaust port. I can feel the roughness about 1/4" below the port leading up to it, but nothing above it. Same question, different cylinder.

cylinder scoring

I think you should go ahead and give those cylinders a hone job before you do anything. I have reworked 4 cylinders that I didnt think were worth messing with and they all 4 turned out to be fine. Hope everything cleans up good for you, good luck.Rick!!!!:)

Hone them up and run them. If they barely snag a fingernail, they aren't very deep, and since they are below the exhaust port, they will be fine. The only place where it rarely works out is if the plating is chipped off on the exhaust bridge, on a cylinder with one. Missing plating or scores there almost always cause seizures if reused. Yours should be just fine, with a light hone to smooth them out.

Back