D196 and D176 mounts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cord_Nipper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Have an idea but I'm out of town and can't try it to see if it would work, so I'll ask.
I have two bow bars from a Homelite XL-12 with a D196 mount and wanted to know if it would work on an Echo 590 which is the D-176 mount.
I realize the 176 is an 8 mm bolt and the D-196 is 9.5 but is that the only difference?
The bar tail looks very similar on profile.
Appreciate any help. It would be next week before I could look at the two side by side.

Have an idea but I'm out of town and can't try it to see if it would work, so I'll ask.
I have two bow bars from a Homelite XL-12 with a D196 mount and wanted to know if it would work on an Echo 590 which is the D-176 mount.
I realize the 176 is an 8 mm bolt and the D-196 is 9.5 but is that the only difference?
The bar tail looks very similar on profile.
Appreciate any help. It would be next week before I could look at the two side by side.

I'd say it would depend on the oil passage lining up, there's lots of ways to space a bar out with springs ,steel shims, or adapters . If it will oil the bar it can work.

The tails are the same size and the oiler holes are in the same place. The difference is the size of the bar slot and the shape of the adjuster holes.

Just make some stud spacers and mount it up. I'm only partially familiar with the 590 but suspect the clutch cover and maybe the case will have to be cut for clearance to mount the bow.

I'm only partially familiar with the 590 but suspect the clutch cover and maybe the case will have to be cut for clearance to mount the bow.
I think it will have to be cut out slightly.
I'm probably going to pick up another donor cover to try it.

An easy way to space the bar studs is to go to the hardware and look through the drawers of extension springs. You should find one with a 5/16" id and a 3/8's od. Just grab one then clip a few coils off it and slide that over your bar studs.

On another note, bows take power to run and a 590 would be about as small a saw as I would mount one to.

An easy way to space the bar studs is to go to the hardware and look through the drawers of extension springs. You should find one with a 5/16" id and a 3/8's od. Just grab one then clip a few coils off it and slide that over your bar studs.

On another note, bows take power to run and a 590 would be about as small a saw as I would mount one to.
I appreciate the suggestion!
As for power, we ran these bars on Homelite XL-12s which are a few CCs smaller than the 590.
However, I'm not completely committed to the idea. It was more of a "I wonder if?" situation.

Back