Damaged tips on White Oak saplings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received some free White Oak saplings from our local conservation office. Some have had their tips pruned (assuming deer browsing or mechanical damage) and they have formed several branches just below the damage. I don't believe this is a healthy growth pattern for such a young tree. The bur oaks I have grown myself didn't branch at all until they are a few feet tall.

Should I just sit back and let nature take it's course, or should I trim all the branches except one to re-create a central leader, or should I scrap the entire tree?

Attachments

• 2014-03-29 10.25.40.jpg
    2014-03-29 10.25.40.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 16
I'd plant them, let them grow (even if they go crazy) for a few years. If you can train them over the years do that. If they are just too out of hand after about 3-4 years, cut them flush to the ground and let the re-sprout. Oak is good at that. In 10 years, you want trees with a single leader.

Agree with above; if the tree doesn't send up a dominant leader in a year or 3 then thinning might be good.

Single out the central leader! Trim the competing branches off , you will get much more verticle growth. If you don't one of those side shoots will become the leader and you will have a ugly useless tree I would cut the 3 lower branches off the tree in the pic. I have experience in this. Spray with liquid fence every 3 weeks to keep the deer off. It works how tall are the trees?

Latest posts

Back