Danger Danger... advice sought.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right anyways... On the next job, which lucky me is next door to where I'm at now... there is a large doug fir, thats been hit by lightning in the last few years, did some interesting damage, the top is still green but it has this awesome spiral fracture most of the way down its stem, with bits hanging out to one side. Have another almost as big dougy to hide behind right next to it, and clear ground all around it, except that every where is down, literally the tallest tree around and at the top of the hill...

So thoughts?

Randy no I did not... was curios as to why steam does make sense.

SlowP, yes it is ded fir snag,

And Bitzer, I don't know, land owner was supposed to come out and walk through with me 2 weeks ago... I am hoping that all the big firs here get to go, and the spruce and ceder. closest thing to old growth I'll get to play with anytime soon, them two firs are in the neighborhood of 4' dbh

Well you may be able to knock the hazard tree out with another one. Providing you've got it cut up well enough first.

If you're taking out more than the lightning tree you could cripple it up and drive it with another tree.

If you're taking just the one fall it the regular way but stay on your toes. Watch your chips...big color changes, punk dust, that sort of thing. Sounding the tree might not be a bad idea either.

More pictures, especially the first third of the tree from the ground, would help.

If you're taking out more than the lightning tree you could cripple it up and drive it with another tree.

If you're taking just the one fall it the regular way but stay on your toes. Watch your chips...big color changes, punk dust, that sort of thing. Sounding the tree might not be a bad idea either.

More pictures, especially the first third of the tree from the ground, would help.

bottom 20'? appears to be solid... and the only thing big enough to push it is next door and leaning the wrong way. The big trees here are spaced out quite a ways, mixed in with a whole bunch of pecker poles, I could probably wedge the solid one over, but without a tree jack...

You'd be surprised what you can knock over with what as long as everything is cut up right. Obviously I've got nothing in tall timber country though.

You'll prob have done this but watch there no limb lock as well that sod may fold on ya

your heart will jump if and when the tension on it releases with a bang. had one of the big stinkers in the park do that while making my face. loud as heck. it had a strike spiral in it also.

the split tree, is the one and only one leaning south, everything else is heading north or east, have an access for the skidder along the ridge, so I'm going to try laying every thing that way. once the hill drops off its too steep for the skidder (Hel its yarder ground really...) so the fun part is going to be staying on top of the little ridge while pulling in some monster turns for a little JD. The hill isn't real tall so worse case I can go in from the bottom, I just have to worm my way in between leave trees and soft ground.

Took a few more pics with a better camera today, didn't notice before but it is split all the way into the dirt. Limb lock is minimal. Kinda stood back a bit to give a better idea on the layout. There is the obligatory tin hat to give an idea as to scale as well.

I don't envy ya there.

I got nothing else .......only thing I could think of is if ya could climb a close by one and rig it up and take the top outta the damaged one........but I guess really that may be a bit hairy.

I wish ya the best .....and be careful bro

Back