Dangerous Hawthorn, cutting over boundary?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yohi123

Reaction score
I am in the UK. I live next to a farm, in the field adjacent to my boundary there is a hawthorn which is rotten inside and completely covered in English ivy. It is about 30 feet high. We have had storms recently and another hawthorn of the same age/size and state of health came down and landed on my neighbours car nearly killing him.
The hawthorn I am speaking of is right over my living room (house is a bungalow). A local government officer responsible for trees etc. Came around and judged it to be a danger and requires cutting down, but because it is on private land they cannot do anything. The farm owner said they will get an arborist to cut it but said they don’t know how soon... we have another big storm coming this weekend and I am very worried.

My question is: if I cut all the overhanging branches which are over my border/boundary (which I am lawfully allowed to do here) and these are large heavy branches, it will leave the tree unbalanced towards the other side (the field) and considering it is carrying a lot of weight of the english ivy. Will this predispose the tree to fall the other way in a storm? There is no danger of it harming anyone or anything in the field as it is unused. Any professional opinions would be much appreciated.

thanks

My question is: if I cut all the overhanging branches which are over my border/boundary (which I am lawfully allowed to do here) and these are large heavy branches, it will leave the tree unbalanced towards the other side (the field) and considering it is carrying a lot of weight of the english ivy. Will this predispose the tree to fall the other way in a storm?
A banyan is not a hawthorn, but take a look at https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/banyan-trim-gone-wrong.319408/. That does not mean it would fall if trimmed to be unbalanced. And I am not expressing any opinion on the merits of cutting.

Back