Carpenter Ants in my Oak trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeintexas

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question maybe someone can help me with. I recently purchased an acre in south texas with approx 120 plus or minus “scrub” oak trees (technically live oak?). Many of them have never been groomed or cut, and as I am cleaning them up have found several of them with open wounds that are home to hundreds of carpenter ants that emerge when I cut into the rotten branches.

I have read mixed input on the level of danger that the ants pose to the trees, and have considered getting some “Advance” carpenter ant bait.

My main concern is whether or not this bait can be harmful to the trees, and how effective it really is. They say it doesn’t take much to wipe out an entire ant colony using it, so it makes me leery to put some out and have the ants bring it literally inside the trees.

Any help is appreciated!

Here's a link to the Advance carpenter ant bait product label :
https://www.cdms.net/ldat/mpARG000.pdf
Termidor another commonly used pesticide used to control carpenter ants that is labeled for use on trees:
https://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld3DS004.pdf
The "trick" to controlling carpenter ants is to contaminate their food supply. If the bait kills the ant before it reaches the nest's food supply, you only killed one ant rather than the the entire colony.

Personally, I'd try the bait option and give it time to work.
Fabricate a bait station that will keep the bait dry and out of direct sunlight.
Use small amounts of bait in the bait station and replenish it often, as fresh bait is better.

Great. Thanks for the info y’all. I think I’ll start with that at least on the ones closer to where the house will be built. The trees seem to be healthy despite the few hollow old wounds.

Near Corpus Christi. I was mainly concerned that the actual poison might pose an additional threat to a tree, especially one that might already be compromised, if that makes sense.

I’m researching fertilizing/ feeding the trees as well, however can’t really find much info for whether or not it would be worth doing for these native oaks. We’ve always called them “scrub” oaks.

Latest posts

Back