Days are getting shorter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
aynnwe - aka Summer when you have your fingers on the correct spot on the keypad

Summer is waning. Fall, my favorite season, is just around the corner. Cooler days and nights ... and dry. Great conditions for working outdoors. Already have a couple cords cut into long lengths that I need to haul out of the woods and process for the 2016 season. I'm two years ahead of the game - this year got everything split and stacked for this winter and next by the end of April. Oak, Hickory, Maple & Ash, lots of BTUs just waiting to be liberated in my fireplace.

Chainsaw milling was the summer project when I could tolerate the heat. Wifey wants a horse shelter in the pasture so I milled all the big lumber. Posts and beams way more than paid for the mill. The second project is a very comfy deer stand.

Life is good.

Yeah, it cooled off here about a week ago and has stayed that way!

I can't wait to get out in the woods and start cutting/splitting for next year (and beyond's) wood supply.

I also have about 2.5 acres of livestock fencing to do on my hillside (grade ranges from 20-35 degree) that has kicked my ass so far this summer. I'm hoping fall will calm the 6 ft tall weeds, the beating sun, and nasty bugs.

Fall is also my favorite season

I was hoping to get a climbing stand this year. But $$ is being diverted to a new wood stove, a chimney, and a chainsaw.

Overall, not a bad trade!

(And, yes, autumn is my favorite time of the year. At work we have Summer Fridays. I always wish they were Fall Fridays!)

Philbo - Seems more and more I'm anxious for the first frost just to kill the bugs. A large portion of the property surrounding the house used to be hay fields ~22 acres. I mow them just to keep the bug population down.

I agree fall is my favorite. Archery season is just around the corner and that's the start of fall for me. Those late October cool crisp mornings are the best. Peak fall excitement is when the whitetail rut starts.:rock:

Yeah... shorter days but it was 89° here yesterday, lookin' for 95° today... and the humidity is up.
Weather guys are sayin' mid-80's to mid-90's for at least the next 10 days... and the humidity is gonna' get worse.
Biting flies are in full force and we're dry again... damn dry.

It felt sort'a cool and fall-like for most of July and August... now, closing in on September, it fells like mid-summer here.

I am noticing some leaves starting to turn though, and the pumpkins are starting to swell.

Love the fall season. Deer hunting, chainsawing, cool weather, bugs dying, it can't come soon enough. We had a nice mild summer for the most part but it sure is nasty hot and humid today.

Got to agree... fall is my favorite season. :)

We got a jump on firewood last year so I can get some much needed home and yard projects done this fall and winter. Garage roof needs fixing, then the garage needs cleaned out. Bunch of small trees along the side need cut back (they're shading the fruit trees now). Got what's left of a couple rotted old sheds to clean up and haul away... a bunch of stuff. Procrastination is my biggest vice.

Guess what I love most about fall is a walk in the woodlot with the pudder dogs. Leaves are gone, underbrush is bare. No bugs, ticks or bees.

Still have mowing, then fall haying to do, after that, free and clear until next spring!

of course we never got out of mud season this year yet.....usually in summer it dries up so I can work in the woods, not thins year though...

Early indicators say we will have spectacular fall colors. Lots of bucks around this year too. They pick apples off the trees in the orchard. It's comical watching them try and eat a whole apple. They are not strangers to drool. The biggest buck is a lopsided 7 pointer, 5 on one side, 2 on the other. All still in velvet. Does are starting to wean their fawns that are still spotted. The winter coat will start very soon and the deer will look like patch work quilts.

Usually we will get some period in August where grass turns to brown stubble. Didn't happen this year, everything is still green and lush. The vegetable garden did well.

90 today going to cool down for the weekend, so they say, but Monday back up in the hot box. Maybe some storms tonight and early morning Thur. which will amplify the humidity. Not use to the heat humidity got spoiled the last couple weeks of mid 70's and 50 evenings.

The apple and pear trees are crazy heavy this year, and most of the grape vines are as well. Good year for fruit in the Finger Lakes.:clap: Fall colors, wine, cider, and wood smoke. Tough to beat!

It's been 4 years since we had anywhere near this much fruit in the orchard. I currently have 11 trees, lost two to wind storms, pulled them right out of the ground with the root ball attached. Last year we got skunked on the fruit due to the late frost. No apples at all. The deer are getting the low hanging fruit and we are a regular stop on their feeding route.

Days are getting shorter, for sure, but not short enough for my liking. After having a reasonably comfortable summer, we are supposed to have about 3 weeks of temps in the mid to upper 90's. I realize it is impossible to predict that far out , but that is what is being reported on the long range forecast.
We had terrible flooding in April and May, then dried up and have experienced another summer of exceedingly dry conditions. Big cracks in the ground, ponds and water ways drying up and now intense heat on the way with no rain in the works.:angry2: Crops not doing well and the garden has certainly been hit hard from the drought.
Sooooo, I am ready for cooler, shorter days and hopefully it will bring on some rain.

Ron

Latest posts

Back