Dealer told me that my muffler mod was worthless

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in Pittsburgh, I find that a VERY interesting comment. I asked the dealer from whom I bought my MS290 for that service. I've adjusted the carbs on my Poulan/Craftsman saws for a long time, but nobody ever showed me anything, I just treated them like my BMW Bings -- too rich, too lean, just right. I'm always looking for the chance to learn from somebody who knows their stuff, though, and I figured since I'd just dropped 4 bills on stuff he wouldn't mind taking a minute, especially since this was my first new saw in 10 years and I didn't know anything about limiter caps or "intellicarbs." He said not to touch them, that the carb was fine from the factory. "What about over-lean settings from the factory to satisfy EPA requirements?" I asked. "Nope, never had a problem," he said.

All righty, then. He's a "Factory Certified Service Technician," eh.

Jack

He was probably right in that instance. I havnt really noticed many Stihls being set terribly lean from the factory as some other brands might be.

He was probably right in that instance. I havnt really noticed many Stihls being set terribly lean from the factory as some other brands might be.

Didn't somebody (Andy the Kiwi?) say that Stihl tuned them at the factory with 10% ethanol crap near sea level?
If so, it would be hard to have your saw run lean, unless it was very cold weather at low altitude.

There's so many clueless rulebook-thumping chainsaw dealers around these days. They'll try ripping and roguing customers without hesitation if they can get away with it.

I go to a stihl shop to get a new trigger for a 200T.

Me: "Got a trigger for a 200T in stock?"

Dealer: "Is that a stihl?"

Me:(walking out the door immediately) "Bye bye"

Clueless..

I go to a stihl/lawnmower shop to get a sparkplug boot.

Me: "Got a rubber sparkplug boot?

Dealer: "What sort of saw?"

Me: "A husky"

Dealer: "We don't deal in huskys"

Me: "I don't care, I only want a rubber sparkplug boot"

Dealer: "No No No, you need to provide the proper part number"

Me: "You should have a box full of common rubber sparkplug boots somewhere, you're a chainsaw/lawnmower shop aren't you?"

Dealer:(getting snakey) "You'll have to ask the mechanic"

Me: "Well, go get him then"

Dealer:(getting snakier) " He's out the back"

Fine. I go out the back, find the mechanic, he hands me a sparkplug boot within 10 seconds and tells me it's $2.50.

Back to ####-wit on the counter. He parks his fat slobby arse on his padded chair and scrolls thru his bloody computer for 5 minutes tryin' to find some sort of official number for the sparkplug boot.

Eventually proclaims: Bring your saw in and we will fit the plug boot, won't take more than an hour, that'll be $32.50 all up.

Me: "I can fit the thing myself in 2 minutes flat, why the fekk should I pay you 30 fekking dollars?"

Dealer: "You want it fitted correctly don't you?"

Me: (trying hard to resist the urge to ram the plug boot up his nostrils) "Bye bye ####-wit"

Yep, clueless rulebook-thumping dealers..tsk tsk

There's so many clueless rulebook-thumping chainsaw dealers around these days. They'll try ripping and roguing customers without hesitation if they can get away with it.

I go to a stihl shop to get a new trigger for a 200T.

Me: "Got a trigger for a 200T in stock?"

Dealer: "Is that a stihl?"

Me:(walking out the door immediately) "Bye bye"

Clueless..

I go to a stihl/lawnmower shop to get a sparkplug boot.

Me: "Got a rubber sparkplug boot?

Dealer: "What sort of saw?"

Me: "A husky"

Dealer: "We don't deal in huskys"

Me: "I don't care, I only want a rubber sparkplug boot"

Dealer: "No No No, you need to provide the proper part number"

Me: "You should have a box full of common rubber sparkplug boots somewhere, you're a chainsaw/lawnmower shop aren't you?"

Dealer:(getting snakey) "You'll have to ask the mechanic"

Me: "Well, go get him then"

Dealer:(getting snakier) " He's out the back"

Fine. I go out the back, find the mechanic, he hands me a sparkplug boot within 10 seconds and tells me it's $2.50.

Back to ####-wit on the counter. He parks his fat slobby arse on his padded chair and scrolls thru his bloody computer for 5 minutes tryin' to find some sort of official number for the sparkplug boot.

Eventually proclaims: Bring your saw in and we will fit the plug boot, won't take more than an hour, that'll be $32.50 all up.

Me: "I can fit the thing myself in 2 minutes flat, why the fekk should I pay you 30 fekking dollars?"

Dealer: "You want it fitted correctly don't you?"

Me: (trying hard to resist the urge to ram the plug boot up his nostrils) "Bye bye ####-wit"

Yep, clueless rulebook-thumping dealers..tsk tsk

WoW! :dizzy:I am glad that the two main dealers I have around me are pretty good. I can't see how someone can stay in business like that.

Hey, that's quick compared to the Stihl dealer down the road from me. (he makes my life so easy. LOL)

Guy buys a 270. Thing doesn't idle right and shuts off if you set it down. Simple adjustment right? Kind of thing we do for our customers for free while they wait. Tells the guy he can't look at his saw for a MONTH! Brand new saw that only had maybe two or three tanks of fuel through it. Incredible, isn't it?

With competition like that, who needs to advertise? :clap:

:cheers: :agree2:

Yup. Some dealers arn't what they used to be.

Hardware store near me has been in business for 70+ years sells John deere, Husky and Stihl. Couple of years ago I walk in with a mower deck bearing in hand part # clearly visible on it. He cant match it without knowing the model # of the machine:bang:. This repeated for any part I ever tried to buy. I only buy nuts and bolt from them now.

On the other hand.
Back in the 80s dad needs a carb kit for his old generator. Motor is out of a 1940's willies. Guy at local gas station says "I hope its the one with the vacuum choke cuz thats the only one I have on the shelf." $3 later, out the door!
Its sad that shop is gone now, I remember being amazed that every inch of wall space in the work shop had a fanbelt with a different # on it and thought nothing of dad always walking out the door with whatever part he needed. Whatever he needed they always had it!

I decided to tinker a little bit with my muffler in an attempt to get a little more out my saw. Muffler mod was no problem but when it came to adjusting the carb I was a little out of my comfort zone so I dropped it off at my dealer where I purchased the saw and he gave me the riot act...."Why would you screw around with the muffler" " Opening up the muffler will gain you nothing" " This is the last time I will work on your saw, since the warranty is no good since you tinkered with the muffler"

My thoughts on this is either he was trying to be a jerk, or he didn't know what to do because with a muffler mod the saw was "DIFFERENT" and his past experiences didn't cover adjusting a carb with a moded muffler. So, instead of saying I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THAT....... He said this:

He told me that it would be a week and a half before he would have enough time to adjust the carb, I told him that I needed the saw for the weekend and you would of thought I had asked him to cut off one of his arms.......

If he's only worked on stock saws, and isn't the guy who's fun/entertainment is wide range of mechanical things he only has his saw routine to refer back on. You probably put him out of his comfort zone.

Now, if you have worked on autos, motorcycles, and other mechanical things you have a larger mental reference to draw from.

He didn't want to do it or didn't know how and knew of someone that knew more....and the week and a half was his cushion to contact the "mod guy"

Dan

In truth modding the muffler did void the warranty and many STIHL dealers or Husky, Echo dealers etc simply will not work on modded saws, it is often posted in their shops. It can be a liability since it is against everything that STIHL and many reputable dealers are about. Technically a GOLD certified STIHL technician is not supposed to touch anything on a modded STIHL saw. When you modded the muffler you legally became a "manufacturer" since you altered the saw. If someone were to use your saw and something malfunctioned and harmed or killed someone then legally you are the "manufacturer" and the main defendant in a law suit. STIHL is not accountable at all since you became the "manufacturer" of the saw by altering it. If the STIHL technician touched your saw and became legally liable then they and possibly STIHL would be accountable for an accident. Even putting a non-STIHL wheel on a TS400 makes someone the "manufacturer" or putting a non-STIHL blade on a brushcutter makes someone the "manufacturer" and legally responsible for the product. Around this area if someone mods a piece of portable power equipment then pretty much they have just become their own service department. Sure the guy should have had a better attitude about everything, but if something should happen somewhere down the line a lawsuit could put the entire dealership out of business. Often times we hear about a dealer somewhere that does anything with no questions asked and then one day the doors are closed and everyone asks "What happened?" Many times the answer is that they assumed some liability and someone took them to the cleaners or that they did something contrary to their suppliers wishes, had their franchise pulled, and were forced to shut down. STIHL should have their legal liability procedures posted on the interent somewhere if you want to check it out.

Last edited:
In truth modding the muffler did void the warranty and many STIHL dealers or Husky, Echo dealers etc simply will not work on modded saws, it is often posted in their shops. It can be a liability since it is against everything that STIHL and many reputable dealers are about. Technically a GOLD certified STIHL technician is not supposed to touch anything on a modded STIHL saw. When you modded the muffler you legally became a "manufacturer" since you altered the saw. If someone were to use your saw and something malfunctioned and harmed or killed someone then legally you are the "manufacturer" and the main defendant in a law suit. STIHL is not accountable at all since you became the "manufacturer" of the saw by altering it. If the STIHL technician touched your saw and became legally liable then they and possibly STIHL would be accountable for an accident. Even putting a non-STIHL wheel on a TS400 makes someone the "manufacturer" or putting a non-STIHL blade on a brushcutter makes someone the "manufacturer" and legally responsible for the product. Around this area if someone mods a piece of portable power equipment then pretty much they have just become their own service department. STIHL should have their legal liability procedures posted on the interent somewhere.

Sue happy lawyers have this country so f'ed up right now it's a wonder we can still function. Seriously!!!:dizzy:

If my dealer told me this is the last time he'd work on my saw. I would reply good because this is the last saw I buy here.

My dealer will mod the saw and still warranty it (no bs). He'll even sell new saws and mod them for you.
They'll work on saws and always ask stuff like "while I have the muffer off, do you want me to mod it?"

When I ask my last dealer if he could get me a modded muffler. I just got a blank stare. Then he ask if I had a part number?

If my dealer told me this is the last time he'd work on my saw. I would reply good because this is the last saw I buy here.

My dealer will mod the saw and still warranty it (no bs). He'll even sell new saws and mod them for you.
They'll work on saws and always ask stuff like "while I have the muffer off, do you want me to mod it?"

When I ask my last dealer if he could get me a modded muffler. I just got a blank stare. Then he ask if I had a part number?

My dealer is real good like that also. He knows how to and wants to keep his customer base.

Timberwolf posted up some charts on muffler mod gains per size on an 026 I believe. There is a lot of info there. Have to do a search to find it, I cant remember the thread title.

Here it is

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=44816

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
First off...Great site, I wish I had found this site before I bought my last saw

About two months ago my saw and an oak tree had a little disagreement, I was in a hurry and went bought a Stihl MS 390 to replace the damaged saw. After poking around here for a while I decided to tinker a little bit with my muffler in an attempt to get a little more out my saw. Muffler mod was no problem but when it came to adjusting the carb I was a little out of my comfort zone so I dropped it off at my dealer where I purchased the saw and he gave me the riot act...."Why would you screw around with the muffler" " Opening up the muffler will gain you nothing" " This is the last time I will work on your saw, since the warranty is no good since you tinkered with the muffler"

Thank god I was the only customer in the store....

He told me that it would be a week and a half before he would have enough time to adjust the carb, I told him that I needed the saw for the weekend and you would of thought I had asked him to cut off one of his arms.......

Ask him why Stihl makes Duel Port Muffler Cover's for some
of their Pro saw's. (MS660, MS650, MS460, MS440)

Another seggestion is to get a tach when you start tuneing your own saws. Some will tune by ear if they can great i tune by ear and use a tach to check my work. Double checking something is never bad. Sorry if some one has mentioned this but i cant stop laughing at the dealer stories and i must have missed it.

I think we need to see some pictures of this muffler mod before we call down judgment on the guy. I've seen a few that reeked of hillbilly hacksaws, duct tape, baling wire and rice burners with no exhaust. There was even a kid on here a few years ago who posted pictures of a perfectly good muffler he'd stabbed a screwdriver through and was proud about it.

I think we need to see some pictures of this muffler mod before we call down judgment on the guy. I've seen a few that reeked of hillbilly hacksaws, duct tape, baling wire and rice burners with no exhaust. There was even a kid on here a few years ago who posted pictures of a perfectly good muffler he'd stabbed a screwdriver through and was proud about it.

We don't want to see any of your saws, if you have any, LOL.

Latest posts

Back