Depth gauge filing - How much is too much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 460, 32” bar, and RSLFK square ground chain.

I am told I need to set the depth gauges (rakers) at .025", but this seems to cut too slow for me. (I'm cutting 18" and larger diameter Pacific Northwest forest logs.)

I'm also a safety nut and realize that too much filing on the depth gauges can be dangerous. And I realize that .025 is probably a "lawyer" recommended thing from the manufacturer.

So what is a fairly safe depth gauge setting that will give me a reasonable speed of cut and still have a fairly safe saw? (I use chaps/PPE religiously BTW.)

Is .030 too much?

Well, I don't really know - I just use the Husky guides that set the hight for every single tooth, and allways use the "softwood" setting, even though the wood I cut is hardwood (birch mostly - not a very hard hardwood).

I believe that it leaves me with a bit more than 25 thau.....

...it works great anyway.:chainsaw:

.030 is just right for me,I like a real agressive saw. I have a buddy that harvest's x-mast trees and he takes his rakers down almost flat but he is using small saws to make a 4-5" cut.I wouldn't get carried away with a large saw and a long bar but if it was me ,.030,no problem.
Mark

I keep 25 on my crosscutting chains. I run 35 on my rip chains. I tossing around the thought of going to 30 on my rip chains, try to get the speed up a little.

I bought a new raker file guide last year. The rack had them in .025, .030, .035. Not sure they may have had one more. I am using .030 in softwood on my saws (biggest is 041/24"). They cut nice. At the low price, pick up 2 or three different ones and try em out. If you do go too deep, just wait for the next filing or two and cut back to a lesser one. I am debating trying .035 on my next go around.

Harry K

Back