660 tuning question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jza

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this ...

so my question is , in this video my saw didn't have that nice crisp 2 stroke sound It seems if I dog in or put some.pressure on it'll crisp up , but I'd rather the saw do the work and pull me along

. I have a 462 I mostly use so don't have to worry about tuning.

Am I too rich ? Rakers too high ? Not dogging in enough

Tach set at 13000 rpm
Duel port muffler
25inch bar
Soft wood

It throws good chips / noodles but sounds like ****

I have attached a photo of how how the teeth on my saw usually look. The chain in the video prob had 1 tank of fuel on it , rakers where done with the stihl depth set at .025 ive gone and bought a progressive raker gauge and it seems to take it abit futher down on the soft wood setting

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20230522_160022.jpg
    20230522_160022.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this ...

so my question is , in this video my saw didn't have that nice crisp 2 stroke sound . I have a 462 I mostly use so don't have to worry about tuning.

Am I too rich ? Rakers too high ? Not dogging in enough ?

It seems if I dog in it'll crisp up , but I'd rather the saw do the work and pull me along

Tach set at 13000 rpm
Duel port muffler
25inch bar
Sharp chain

Flame away , Thanks in advance
Not quite sure of your question. Vid?

Your saw cleans up in the cut every now and then, but it might be tuned just a hair rich. And the chain definitely needed some work.
Thanks :) I checked the plug it was a tad dark but getting very close to brown .

The spark plug boot had a rip in it , The wire got stuck so had to pull it off. The coil inside the boot looks like it had rust or something on it , will replace both

Is that saw running an original Stihl piston and cylinder, original carb? Just that I noticed some of the outsides are Asian- how about the insides?
Those gurey old man pine butts can take some cutting- your chain looks to have a fairly steep angle and should pull fine cross cutting 18" logs as long as they were not dragged to a skid site and covered in mud, but may not be exactly ideal for ripping full depth- I find it easier to get the ring cut off the butt and then rip it into manageable sections- where the nose of the bar is free of timber than to rip them with the nose buried- but when you don't have long bars- you do what you must.
For video tuning advice, set up a cross cutting sequence in logs less than bar length and it will give a fairer indication of no load loading constantly and no load again.

Chain dull or rakers high. I'd fix that, be able to load the saw properly, then worry about tuning if it's still an issue.

You should have been burying yourself in noodles in no time with that combination.

I agree w/ Bob, cross cuts are better for video tuning advice.

You didn't answer if it is a factory cylinder or not. I'm curious myself.
No it's not . it's a farmertec. It's abit of a mixer . The carb oem , bearings , seals . If a part breaks down it gets replaced with oem and depending on the price it might be 2nd hand lol.

Stihl prices where I live are crazy . Like buying parts for a Harley..

No it's not . it's a farmertec. It's abit of a mixer . The carb oem , bearings , seals . If a part breaks down it gets replaced with oem and depending on the price it might be 2nd hand lol.

Stihl prices where I live are crazy . Like buying parts for a Harley..
ah okay... where are your ports timed at, and what is the compression... that could be why the thing sounds a little odd

ah okay... where are your ports timed at, and what is the compression... that could be why the thing sounds a little odd
I'm not sure , I've never timed ports before . Unsure about compression numbers but it feels like it's got alot . Couple of times it's near ripped me arm off lol

I'm not sure , I've never timed ports before . Unsure about compression numbers but it feels like it's got alot . Couple of times it's near ripped me arm off lol

Ive got an old 066 here, built from parts I took off other peoples saws that were chinky dinked up and replaced with spare bits I had- it has some horrible 56mm big bore cylinder on it- its a pile of shite compared to the original flat top 066 I have.
In my experience, out of the box Farmertec is pretty average to ugly, but I live in the same country and hear what you are saying regarding genuine Stihl parts and the whole arm and a leg thing- but there are secondhand units out there- or Meteor.

What part of nz ? Its a good saw for what it is , does me own firewood and some so I'm happy .

Once the piston goes ill buy a meteor p/c , I've heard good things about them

sounds a bit rich is all. wouldn't put any blame on the cylinder without knowing the timing numbers but doubt that has anything to do with it.

and like others have said doesn't help with the chain being dull and not putting it under enough load.

Latest posts

Back