Design Flaw - Troybilt splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turnkey4099
Thanks Harry. No this is home built. The first one i built had the table mounted to brackets like yours. Unfortunately osage orange splits much like locust and i had the same problem you are having.

The pics are just to show you what you can do to fix your problem. Get some heavy wall 1'' square tube and cut 4 pieces at 2'' 1/2 or 3'' long and weld them to the bottom flange. Drill them for a pin first then get the next size smaller square tubing that will slide into them. Cut your brackets flush with the edge of the table and weld the smaller tubing to the bracket that is still under the table.

You're too late by about 25 years :). I had a good job in a agricultural equipment plant. I built my homebuilt there off of the (mostly) scrap pile. Were I still there, those tables would be on my splitter as of today noon :). Don't even have a cheap welder these days. Doubt I could still see well enough to run a bead anymore.

Harry K

Wishie22

Wishie22

ArboristSite Operative
I had the same problem with my first splitter i built Harry. I cured it with the second. Small heavy wall tubing gets the brackets down lower. Not the best pic but you get the idea.

attachment.php

Sharp looking machine, nice job on the fabrication. Since the wood slides up that splitting head as it is being split, I can see the wood catching on the tall bolts. Have you had a to make any adjustments bolts on the splitter head/ram guide bolts?

Last edited:
Steveguy

Steveguy

ArboristSite Operative
Looks like the bolts are being stored there during paint job, the bottom half of the slides arent there. I assume the bolts will thread up from the bottom to attatch the bottom half of the slides and will end up flush or recessed in the threaded holes. Does that sound right?

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
. AS Supporting Member.
Looks like the bolts are being stored there during paint job, the bottom half of the slides arent there. I assume the bolts will thread up from the bottom to attatch the bottom half of the slides and will end up flush or recessed in the threaded holes. Does that sound right?

Yes except the heads will be up. The bevel on the front of the slide pretty much push's the log up and over the bolt heads. The wood does rub a little sometimes but they are grade 5 bolts. The other splitter i built is the same and with heavy use after 10 years the bolt heads still show no noticeable wear.

hunter0182

hunter0182

ArboristSite Member
design flaw

I used the original curved pieces and just ditched the top piece. Just a piece of plate, with two pieces of flat stock welded to the bottom. No reason you couldn't bolt it together using angle though. Just drilled the flat stock to bolt to the curved pieces. The table is much closer, and the bottom of it is about even (height wise) with the beam. Nothing seems to get caught in there to bend it anymore.

Birthday022.jpg

Birthday021.jpg

Birthday023.jpg
Doesn't interfere using the verticle position at all.

I liked your table so much i made me one to,i recut the brackets out of 1/4 plate, used bolts to,the table is 1/4 diamond plate 15 x 24, works great,