did stihl stop making the ms441 saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MS441 is a good running saw, especially the MTronic version. It also takes well to mods. The problem with the 441 is that it overly complex and more difficult to work on, and is a little bulky and heavy.
They seem to be pretty trouble free don't they? I've never had a problem with mine.

Power wise..id take a stock 441 over a 440 anyday.

Anyone who has spent time running both will tell you the 441 has more power.

Too bad they couldnt have kept the weight and size of the 440 with 441 power.

Add a CDN 460 DP muffler cover to a 440 and you will get the same power as a stock 441. I have had them both. I traded my 044 for a near new 441, but I sold the 441 last year. Cold blooded, bulky, heavier, harder to tune, PITA to tear down with all the strato stuff, and IMO not nearly as good a saw. The 441 is smoother though. Cannot find a 441 around here on the shelves any more. No one stocks them. Still listed on the US Stihl web site though.

BTW: the 440 was killed by the EPA for the guy that was aksing why it was EOL'd. They got a waiver for about a year a few years ago to bring them back, but they are gone for good from the states now. They are still available in Brazil, South Africa and Mexico though (as is the 361).

The early 441s had major overheat/vapor lock problems in the wildland firefighting community. Those first saws were made for about a year I believe before a minor modification corrected the problem of not starting after refueling. IIRC the fuel boiled in the tank.

I have a 440 and a 441 and I don't understand why Stihl chose to call their completely different and new saw "441". The 411 is much smoother (too smooth for me, I added the heavier spring kit) and more powerful but heavier and larger. Now with the 461 I see no need for the 441 anymore.

They beefed up the later 441 saws sold in the US with the Z springs. The early model springs were too soft. They also went with M-tronic in the late models of course, and people seem to like them a lot more.

The 441 is a little heavier, but you can run it all day. The 440 rattled my teeth after a while.
f2f81d811f1fbe0e8cb2a65ae066d294.jpg

The 441's super AV makes it worth the bulk imo. It's the smoothest saw Stihl makes imo

Back